Chapter 6: Explorers Club

Saturday, May 18, 1985
11:30a.m.
Norman's House / The Snicket Household

Third Person's POV
     "There was more violence across town today. Another stabbing; weapon is unidentified. This time at a restaurant at the heart of Norwood," said the news reporter on television.

     "Can you guys change the channel?" Naomi and Norman's mother, Mary, asked of them, as they were watching television with Alio, Anne, Jesper, Klaus, Rei, and Zero. "You all shouldn't be watching that anyway."

Norman approached the television and clicked on a button, changing the channel.

     "...Is it bad that I kinda wanted to see the victim who got stabbed?" Alio whispered to his friends.

Anne, Klaus, and Jesper just looked at him with concerned looks on their faces. Rei just rapidly blinked for a second, feeling confused.

While footage of a mountain was being shown on television, the TV announcer says, "Movietown News presents Spotlight on Adventure! What you are now witnessing is footage never before seen by civilized humanity, a lost world in North America. Lurking in the shadow of Maine, it supports plants and animals undiscovered by science."

Klaus was actually very interested, but Anne sighed.

"Can we watch something else?" asked Anne.

     "No! Please, I'm interested-" Klaus remarked.

Norman nodded in agreement. "I am, too."

"Who would dare set foot on this inhospitable summit? Why, our subject today, Keys Saikou! The beloved explorer lands his dirigible in Maine this week, completing a yearlong expedition to the lost world. And here comes the adventurer now! And, Jiminy Cricket, do the locals consider Saikou the bee's knees. And how!"

The man, Keys Saikou, was shown on the screen. "Adventure is out there!"

Klaus felt truly amazed by the man, inspired by him.

"Saikou claims to have witnessed many undiscovered, fascinating species! He vows a return to the paradise and promised to capture the beasts alive! Good luck capturing the monsters of paradise!"

About fifteen minutes later, Jesper and Zero are walking Klaus home as they stroll through a path in Melbreck Forest.

Klaus was just imitating airplane noises whilst walking on the edge of the path, pretending to be walking on a tightrope.

     "So... He explored an unknown place in North America? Where are we now?" asked Zero.

Klaus just paused and looked at her.

     "North America-" Jesper responded.

"Oh."

Klaus awkwardly chuckled, then continued walking, thinking about the explorer, Keys Saikou. Adventure is-

"Adventure is out there!"

Klaus stopped walking and paused. Jesper stopped when he realized Klaus did, and Zero stopped after Jesper did. None of them had just spoken. They heard the soft voice of a girl, and when looking around to see where it was coming from, they saw a small circus tent in the forest.