Chapter 8: Missing Persons

Sunday, May 19, 1985
2:30p.m.
Treehouse in Melancholy Woods

Third Person's POV
     "So, she's okay?" Anne asked Tui & La as she, Alio, Naomi, and Klaus were sitting on the floor in the treehouse. Jesper, Rei, and Norman were standing next to them.

     "Yes," said La as she was looking through a small box with trinkets and small objects in it. "She's trying to find her way back here, with the help of a girl named Mizuki, a man called Joker — but Mizuki calls him Magic-Man —, and a woman called Alexandria..."

Klaus looked a bit concerned. "Can we trust them?"

     "For the most part," Tui replied. "...Also, I have a question. Where is 'Zero'? The one in this world."

Naomi, Klaus, Norman, and Tui looked at Jesper.

     "...Uhh... She's- he- they- I-" He stammered, but stopped himself. He sighed, "At the cabin." Jesper had no clue of which pronoun to refer to 'Zero' as.

Alio was just looking at Tui and La, feeling a bit puzzled. He was trying to figure out where he recognized them, but then it hit him. "Wait a minute- I think I know where I recognize you guys from, now!"

The two girls looked at him in confusion.

     "Jesper, remember when you told us about how there were two girls that went missing in November last year?" he asked as he stood up.

     "Uh, sure," Jesper responded, "but that investigation was closed..." He looked at Tui and La. "But I get what you mean. They look similar, but there are a lot of differences between them."

     "That's how I recognize them!" Anne realized.

Naomi begins to see the resemblance. "...Wait- yeah! How did Alio figure that out before any of us-?" She felt confused, then shook her head. "Never mind, just- stay here, I need to get something from mom's room!"

She stood up and almost instantly started climbing down the ladder.

The other kids just looked at each other, feeling confused.

"...Are we supposed to just wait here?" asked Alio.

Norman shrugged in response.

About fifteen minutes later, Naomi came back with two sheets of paper. "I'm back! I was looking through some of mom's drawers that she stores work stuff in and I found these," she handed Tui and La the papers.

The papers were missing posters.

And on one poster was a girl with short dark brown hair, hazel eyes, a few freckles, and fair skin. She resembled La but without the darker hair, earrings, little horns, and with normal eyes. Her hands and arms had many bandages wrapped around them.

And on the other poster was a girl with long, dark brown hair, bandages on her eyes, and fair skin. She resembled Tui but without the white hair, earrings, horns, and strange line of white diamonds marked on her neck. She was sitting in a wheelchair.

"MISSING
Tsuki Evergarden, Age 15, 5'3"
Short dark brown hair, hazel eyes, partially deaf, shaky hands.
Last seen wearing: white pants, white button-up long-sleeved shirt.
Any information please call Morning Shine Orphanage.
   450-0155"