Chapter 31: Never Smile Again (5)

[ 20 Years Ago ]
September 1, 1965
8:30a.m.
Norwood's National Laboratory

Third Person's POV
Yohan, Yuda, and Liam were lined up by a wall. Alexandria had finished saying her goodbyes to the three boys.

She gently pulled Yohan to the side and whispers, "So, you know what to do? Are you sure you can manage fourteen children?"

Yohan nodded his head. "I'd hope so. The more children I take care of, the sooner this is done with."

     "And you're going to try your best to help Liam?"

He sighed. "Yes, fine. Even though none of this would've happened if he didn't show up."

Alexandria glared at Yohan. "Don't say that. None of this is his fault. Just take care of him and everyone else, understood?"

     "Yes, mom."

She softly smiled and looked at Liam. "It's okay, Liam. You're doing well now."

A bit of hope gleamed in Liam's hazel eyes. He softly smiled back at her, trying to hide is true feelings about her leaving. He didn't want her to leave. She figured he was hiding such emotions.

     "Remember, if you ever feel alone or frightened, just remember you aren't alone. I'll always be on the other side."

Liam's smile had faded from his pale face as he watched Alexandria walk through the mirror. He wish he could've said something, anything, but she left too soon for him to have done so.

Dr. Newton looked at the three boys. "All right, boys. Fifteen, go ahead and go to the play room. Liam, go to your designated room. As for Twenty-One, look through the files of Morning Shine Orphanage."

Yuda smiled and ran off, while Liam slowly walked away, feeling gloomy. Yohan had walked out of the room, and seemed to be unfazed by Alexandria's farewell, as if he couldn't feel any pain in her leaving.

September 20, 1965

Liam was sitting in a chair, while Yohan had set down a glass of water in front of him.

     "Let's start with our reason here today," said Yohan, in a quiet voice.

Liam stared at the table, not answering.

     "No? Hm..." Yohan looked down at the file he was holding. "We know you can't speak properly, but it's improving..." His brows lifted a little once he read something on the papers. He then looked up and at Liam. "You did something 'bad' on Thanksgiving last year."

Liam's body tensed up. He sternly asks, "Why... Why are you talking a... about it?"

     "Intrigued, that's all. And here it says you refuse to answer certain questions. Let me try asking a few..." Yohan cleared his throat. "Why did your father push you through the mirror?"

The boy looked up from the table and at him. "I don't... I don't know."

     "Who is your mother?"

Liam glared at him.

Yohan asks, "Did she leave you? Was that your fault, too?"