Chapter 10: Is Anyone There?

Sunday, May 19, 1985
4:05p.m.
Near Cabin, Bluebell Forest

Third Person's POV
Walking in the forest near the cabin, Jesper was looking in the handheld mirror, looking at the roof of another fort on the other side of the mirror, made with branches and cloaks.

He looked lonely.

Jesper's POV
I feel helpless and a bit useless right now.

I don't get it...

Zero- or, I guess, Liam? I don't know, but- I thought Zero was okay. I'm sort of having a difficult time processing all of this.

Tui, La, Mizuki, "Magic-Man"/Joker, Zero, Liam.

All of this is so confusing.

When we met Mizuki, I was given this mirror by Tui and La. Those two had to have known about Zero and who we are if they wanted me to see the other side of this mirror, meaning they've probably been watching us for a while.

But why? Why are they helping us? Are they trying to help? I don't see why or how helping us would benefit them, so I'm having trouble trusting them. And why give me the mirror now? It would've been more convenient way earlier. Is it because we met Mizuki and Joker?

Can we trust those two (Mizuki & Joker) as well? Lele mentioned how when we found Klaus, the masked guy we saw before was the one who killed the monster trying to take Klaus away. I hope we can trust him.

I wish I could find a way to talk to Zero, the real Zero, but I can't. The woman on the other side of this can't even hear me, I don't think. And I would talk to "Zero"/Liam, but he's been short with me and I can't get any information out of him.

I thought it was over... What happened?

Third Person's POV
As Alio walked down the path to the cabin, he saw Jesper walking further away in the forest. He felt confused, but stepped off the path and began to catch up to him.

Jesper turned to face him when he heard footsteps behind him.

     "Hey," said Alio. "Back by unpopular demand: me."

"Hi," Jesper glumly greeted.

  "So, Tutu and Lolli, or whatever their names are, remembered their lives as humans, so that's cool."

With a confused expression on his face, Jesper just mouthed the words: Tutu and Lolli-?

  "What're you doing out here? Isn't your fort that way?" Alio pointed right.

Jesper nodded. "Yeah, I just... I dunno. Just thinking." He looked at the ground, noticing a shovel on the ground. So he picked it up and handed it to Alio, then lied down on the ground. "Tuck me in."

Alio grew a worried look on his face. "Um... You do know you handed me a shovel, right?"

  "Yeah, just spread the dirt over me as evenly as you can, thank you."

Alio just looked down at him and tossed the shovel aside, then sat down. "All right, what's wrong?"

Jesper sat up. "You're serious?"