Chapter 30: To See Your Smile (4)

[ 21 Years Ago ]
December 12, 1964
8:30a.m.
Norwood's National Laboratory

Third Person's POV
Young Liam was waking up in a bed, in a white, blank room, since he heard the door creak open. He saw Alexandria walk in with a cup of water.

Liam opened his eyes more, then rubbed them. "Oh... I'm still here. S... Sorry."

Alexandria set the glass down on the bedside table. She looked at him with a sympathetic expression. "No. I've been there... Alone. Darkness. Noises."

Liam sighed as he sat up. Then he saw a man walk in. It was just a man with pale skin, violet eyes, and he had platinum blond hair. His hair fell in front of his face and he had on a white lab coat.

     "Who... is that?" Liam asked.

Alexandria looked at the man then at the boy. "He's my friend."

Liam looked back at her. "Friend...? What... What do friends feel like?"

     "...Happy."

December 24, 1964

"So... You can- you can feel M... Mm... Morella's and Yuda's pain?" Liam questioned. "Even- Even Yohan's?"

Alexandria nodded her head. "Yes, I can. Even Yohan's. And I will feel the pain of the rest of the subjects to come."

     "...Does it... Does it hurt?"

She slowly nodded her head. "Yes, it does. But there are ways to numb it without using alcohol or harmful drugs, the only con is the fact that I feel like a robot when I'm on those medications."

     "Can they still... still feel pain?" asked Liam.

     "Yes, they can. But right now, the current children are unable to feel half of their pain, including emotional. Thankfully I don't feel all of their pain, due to the medicines we gave them when they were just toddlers. Thanks to those, they can at least feel some pain." She deeply sighed. "...I wish I knew how to give all of it back to them."

January 15, 1965

"Al, tell me a... a story?" requested Liam as he was laying in bed.

The woman sat up straight. "Well... Let's see... There once was a pale man with dark hair, who was very lonely."

Liam's brows furrowed. "...Why was- Why was he l... lonely?"

"All things must meet this man, so they shunned him."

"Did he... Did he chase them all?"

Alexandria says, "He took an axe and split himself in two right down the middle."

The boy felt comforted. "...So... So he would always have a... a f... friend?"

The woman nodded her head. "So he would always have a friend."

March 18, 1965

Liam was sitting across from Alexandria again.

He was reading off of a paper. He looked up from the paper when he stutters, "Don't mm... m-m-" He quietly sighed. "Don't muh- m-"