Chapter 16: Why Can't I Leave?

Wednesday, May 22, 1985
5:00p.m.
Police Department

Third Person's POV
Yuda and LeAnna were by the doors, because she'd followed him after accepting the request to talk to him.

She was almost sure he knew she knew about him being a subject at Norwood's Lab. But she was strongly hoping he wouldn't mention it, even though he had a serious expression plastered on his face.

Yuda broke the small, awkward silence by saying, "I just wanted to apologize for the way I behaved when meeting your kids."

LeAnna felt a bit relieved. "Oh... Um, yeah, we were a bit concerned by that."

      "Yeah... And I totally understand if you or they feel awkward about it." Yuda sighs, "It's just... One of them, the girl, Zoe... she strongly resembles someone I didn't get along with very well, you could say."

Partially understanding, LeAnna nodded her head. "Yeah, no, I get it. You don't have to worry."

Yuda sighed in relief. "I'm sorry, and I promise I'll work on it in case I see them again... Anyway, uh, I'm gonna head back in, you coming?"

      "No, I'm, uh, I'm gonna head home," LeAnna pressed her lips together.

Stepping over to the door, Yuda says, "Oh, all right. Drive safely."

      "Will do..." LeAnna said as she watched Yuda walk back indoors. She sort of pushed her tongue against the inside of her cheek, furrowing her brows a bit, feeling more suspicious of Yuda.

Joker & Mizuki's Circus Tent, the Mirror World

Alexandria was outside with Zero and Joker. Zero was trying to stay warm by the fire, and Joker was scraping off bark from a wide branch to make a stake.

Alexandria heard rustling in the fort behind her as she sat next to Zero, and turned to look at the fort. Zero and Joker seemed to have heard it, as well, since Zero looked at the fort too, and Joker stopped scraping.

Alexandria stood up, rushing over to the fort in case it were a Marsh about to escape via puddle, but no one was there. Everything seemed to be in place and nothing was missing, except for the walkie talkie. Everything else was the same except, when she looked at the table, she saw the handheld mirror that had been taken from them.

She looked through the mirror, seeing the ceiling of a familiar treehouse she recognized whenever she used to look at this mirror, so she knew this wasn't a fake.

She picked up the mirror and walked out with it. She looks at Joker and asks, "Did you find this and put it in there?"

Joker's attention was entirely grasped when he saw the mirror, and he dropped the blade and branch. He stood up and walked over to her, taking the mirror from her and observed it, as if making sure it was real. Then he looked at her, and shook his head, answering her question.

      "Then..." Alexandria was thinking, then she remembered something. "Mizuki left a few minutes ago, correct?"

Zero nodded her head in response, still staying by the fire. "Yes."