Chapter 25: I Must Not Tell Lies

[ Two Years Ago ]
Saturday, September 3, 1982
8:15p.m.
Norwood's National Laboratory

Third Person's POV
Young, 10-year-old Zero was drawing on her bed, while Liam was sitting in front of her, with a Monopoly boardgame between the two of them.

     "It's been..." Liam sighed as he stared at the game, "84 years since we first started this game... And I'm poor."

Zero had put hotels in multiple expensive spots. "Can you buy things with Monopoly money?"

Liam shook his head. "Maybe, but I can't try it out, since I'm losing all my money to you! Stop buying hotels!"

Zero laughed, and a big smile grew on her face.

     "What're you drawing over there, anyway?" he leaned up a little to see if he could see what she was drawing.

Then she just handed her drawing to him, and he looked at the stick figures on the paper, with name tags above their heads: Me, Liam.

He thought, Wow, this drawing is shit. But he still looked at her with a friendly smile. "Damn, Zee, I wish I was as talented as you."

Zero softly smiled. "It's just doodles."

Liam looked back at the stick figures again. "...Christ, I look good."

When he glanced back at Zero, she began giggling at his comment. He smiled, seeing her smile.

[ Present ]
Friday, May 24, 1985
7:30p.m.
Cabin, Bluebell Forest

Liam/Zero woke up; her vision was blurry. It was dark. When they looked up, they saw Alexandria, Naomi, Mizuki, and Joker standing in the small, wooden shed they were in. Then Liam realized Zero's hands and feet were tied to the chair she was sitting on.

Tui was standing outside of the shed they were in, keeping watch as she saw La standing on the porch at the cabin, also keeping watch.

Anne, Norman, Alio, Klaus, and Rei were in the cabin, supporting and comforting a distraught Jesper.

In the shed, Joker and Mizuki were standing near the door, just in case Liam either tried to escape or hurt someone. Alio and Naomi were in the room so Zero would feel safe. Alexandria was there to talk to both Liam and Zero.

Alexandria saw them awake. "Hey... Sleepyhead..." She cracked a smile, but it faded just as quickly as it grew. "We... We just need to ask you a few questions, Liam... Is that okay?"

Liam hung Zero's head down, looking numb and lifeless. The eyes he was seeing through were now completely black, just like his. He didn't react at all to what Alexandria was saying. He couldn't look her in the eyes.
He felt ashamed because now that she's returned, the first time she sees him is when he's in this state.

     "Everyone is curious to know... why you're doing this? We want to know if Zero's all right..." She tilted her head a little. "Hm?"

Liam would just stare at the floor, not moving.

     "Jesper told us what happened... with Yuda. He said you took the knife from him, so you could... 'finish the job' yourself. Why?" After not getting a response, Alexandria looks at Naomi, Joker, and Mizuki and asks, "...Would you all step out for a moment? I need a second alone with him."