Chapter 32: Frowntown (6)

[ 20 Years Ago ]
December 2, 1965
The Mirror World

Liam's POV
Where did you go?

    I can't find you.

God, please, where did you go?

You promised me you'd stay. You lied.

Why did you leave?

Please, come back. Come back. Come back.

I can't erase you from my mind.

Why did you leave me?

I can't believe you left me here.

Are you there? I'm here for you.

Third Person's POV
Liam was wandering the forest of dead, slimy trees, hoping to find the one person he needed. After finding a path, he followed it, and it led him to a large, gothic building. It looked almost like a castle. He opened the doors, and they loudly creaked as they opened.

"...Hello?" he hesitantly called out, looking at the vines and dirt on every wall, the ceiling, stairs, and floors.

    "A human?" he heard a man say.

He turned, seeing a man with a button eye and a stitched mouth on one side of his face, and a mask on the other half. Liam was disturbed by the spider-like legs grown from the man's back. The man was standing at the top of the stairs.
Joplin.

"Here?" the man continued. "How curious..." He stepped down the stairs. "What brings you here?"

Liam opened the door wider. "I'm... looking for... the... 'king', and my friend."

Joplin smirked. "Well, you're looking right at the King. As for your friend, I wouldn't know." He noticed the boy was anxious, and held in a giggle. "So... Since you aren't able to find your friend and you came all this way, do you wish to become one of us?"

Liam's brows furrowed. He felt uncomfortable with the man and his surroundings. "...What?"

"...I suppose you are worthy. You could be next in line to become the Jack! Now, would you like to gain the abilities of a Shade, a Hidebehind, an Araneidan, or a Marsh? Or perhaps you'd like me to kill you and turn you into a Puppet?"

Liam nearly froze. Kill me... and become... a Puppet? He remembered Deity Omega and Ares.

Joplin laughed. "It's all right. Soon you'll see things our way."

"No," said Liam. "I-I'm fine. I don't want to turn into a... any of that. I just- I just wanted to find my friend. If you can't help me, then I'll just leave. I don't- I don't want to be killed so I can help someone."

Joplin lightly shrugged his shoulders, leaning onto the railing. "Hmm... Well, there is one way that won't get you killed. I may not know where your friend is, but I have a way to help you find them, whoever they may be."

Liam paused when reaching for the door. "...What is it?"

Joplin stared at him for a moment, then softly scoffed and shook his head. "Never mind. It's too difficult for you to understand."