Chapter 5: Fear's Fantasy

Third Person's POV
Forty-eight years ago, in 1937, there was once a married couple. Doctor William L and Amelia L.

They weren't an ordinary couple, they were researchers and scientists, searching for ways to expand the boundaries of the mind.

They performed many experiments on Amelia, since she volunteered to be the experiment. And during these experiments and tests, she acquired many abilities, such as invisibility, telekinesis, telepathy, levitation, heat manipulation, inevitability, mind control, and healing.

The two of them were very happy with the outcomes of these tests, and were actually quite proud of themselves.

Of course, it took them a few years to conduct these experiments. And two years after they first began experimenting, in 1939, they decided to settle down and have a child, a beautiful girl named Alexandria.

Over time, William and Amelia realized their daughter was learning certain abilities — some of the same ones Amelia was able to perform when they were experimenting.

William was fascinated by Alexandria, and decided to start a program at Norwood's National Laboratory, where he'd adopt four other children and give all of them abilities. His daughter was part of this program. He thought this could be the start of a new world, where no one has to be just ordinary.

He originally was going to adopt seven children, but Amelia thought they should start with adding four to the family.
During the first five years at this program, the five children began acquiring different abilities.

One of them, Teddy, had teleportation, phasing, and phase shift.

Another, Arlo, had time manipulation.

Ryuzaki had mind control, mind reading, clairvoyance, and telekinesis.

The youngest, Chandler, had levitation, air manipulation, and astral projection.

But some of them gained more abilities as tests and experiments continued. Only a few of Alexandria's abilities she inherited from her mother, while others were given to her during experimenting.

William and Amelia were happy having a supernatural family.
But the children all hated it.

There was a time when the doctors experimented to see if all the kids could mirror each other's pain, share their pain. The tests terribly wrong and only Alexandria could feel physical and emotional pain all at once, times four. She couldn't bare it, so she has to take medicine every few hours to numb that pain. But because only she could feel the pain, some of the other kids were all beginning to become deadpan and numb by the time Alexandria was eleven-years-old. But all of them still loved each other and would have fun together.

Then Amelia and William decided to make the program open to the public.
Only five people signed up that year: college students with unique abilities. They were allowed to communicate with the children, but not often. Only one college student was only allowed to communicate with one of children.

The two of them died, two of them left the program, and the other was locked away. And two years later, six more students signed up for the program, but had different experiences than the first five. They weren't allowed to communicate or even know about the children or the college student who was locked away.