Chapter 24: Of Men and Monsters

Friday, May 24, 1985
4:00p.m.
Norwood's National Laboratories

Third Person's POV
Zero had gotten a horrible feeling. As if she could feel fear and despair. She had urged Liam to go to the lab, since she couldn't control her body herself.

They walked down the hallway, still limping.

     "You shouldn't care that he's in trouble," said Liam. "He's a terrible person."

     To me, he's still Papa. How I feel about him is how I feel about you. I can't forgive you both, but I can still help.

Liam just shook Zero's head. "I'm not helping him."

When he turned a corner, they saw dead bodies down the hallway and hearing someone crying while hitting a door. Everyone Zero grew up with was covered in blood, dead, except Rallane and Ives. Neither were here. It seemed Liam was shocked, since he had a disturbed look on her face.

     "...You still want to find him?"

     Yes.

Liam clenched her jaw and hesitantly continued to walk down the hallway, avoiding the bodies and the blood. The suspense in the air slowly became thicker and thicker. When they made it to the end of the hallway, he instantly opened the sealed door at the end of it, only to begin hearing a blood curdling screech. He instantly covered her ears, trying to block it out.

After the loud noise stopped, he dropped her hands by her side, seeing a very large, distorted shadow figure hitting on an invisible force, like a barrier or forcefield, which Dr. Rallane was using to surround himself with. The lights were flickering like crazy and the room was covered in blood splatters, while other scientists' bodies were scattered across the room. Dr. Ives still could not be seen. Each time the shadow hit the barrier, Rallane would cough up blood and a large cut would appear on his arms, face, neck, and torso.

"Yohan...?" Liam mumbled.

The man heard him and looked up at the door, seeing Zero. But before he could say anything, the shadow monster hit the barrier again, causing him to cough up more blood and taking down the barrier since he was almost completely drained.

But before the shadow monster could hit him since the barrier was gone, the shadow was suddenly thrown across the room and into a wall next a mirror. When Rallane next looked up, he saw Zero running up to him.

After coughing, Rallane says, "No. No, Liam, you need to leave."

Liam didn't say anything in response as he kept the monster pinned to the walls with Zero's psychokinetic abilities.

The man weakly stood up and turned Zero around after grabbing her arms. Another barrier was put up around them.

Liam tried to make him let go. "Let me go!"

     "You have to go, you need to get out of here."

"But you'll die."

With a softened expression on his face, Rallane says, "And you and Zero both get to live."

Taken aback, Liam just stared at him as the shadow monster got off the wall, rushing up to the barrier.