Chapter 33: Why Can't I Forget? (7)

[ 13 Years Ago ]
February 25, 1972
7:15p.m.
Norwood's National Laboratories

Third Person's POV
Liam had stepped through a mirror, walking into a small room with a rocking cradle. The room was dark, but a small lamp was dimly lighting the room. There was a small vase of red poppies near the lamp.

Liam didn't let the doctors know he was visiting beforehand. He didn't want them to know, but he had to see this child for himself.

He stared down at the small baby in the cradle, with big brown eyes and short, thin black hair.

He wasn't very impressed. What an ugly thing. She looks kind of like Yohan. And she's supposed to be capable of all that power? Then he had realized something- Wait... Oh, God, I looked this ugly once, too...

He noticed the teddy bear in her cradle was a bit far from her reach, so he reached over to it and put it next to her. He saw her chubby little hand around one of his fingers.

Liam stared down at her.

     ...Capable of all that power, yet she will still have to die.

He felt guilty when he looked at her. He was having second thoughts on this arrangement, but was afraid it was too late.

He gently pulled back his hand, forcing Zero to let go, but she instantly began crying and wailing. He began feeling saddened right as she began crying, like he could feel her tears running down his face.

He looked at the door, knowing a doctor would be in the room soon. So he rushed to the mirror, running through it while a doctor opened the door, not seeing Liam.

[ 6 Years Later ]
July 19, 1978

At the moment, a doctor, Dr. Newton, walked into six-year-old Zero's room. By now, she has the tattoo of her assigned number on her neck, and her hair reaches her elbows. She was sitting in a chair in her room, looking at red poppy flowers.

As Dr. Newton walked in, so a man trailed behind him; he looked like he was in his early twenties. He was pale and tall, he had brown hair, ice cold blue eyes, and a 015 tattoo on his neck.

They didn't know Liam was watching through the mirror in the room.

     "Yuda," said Newton, "this is Zero."

Zero looked bored.

     "Say hello to Yuda, Zero."

Yuda softly smiled and waved at her, while she did nothing.

Dr. Newton glared at the girl as he walked up to her. "You wanna know why they call her Zero?" He put a hand on her small head and shook it. "'Cause there's nothing going on in her stupid little head!"

Watching them, Liam felt angry at what the doctor had just said. Zero didn't look fazed at all; she just seemed clueless.

Minutes later, Yuda and Newton had left the room. Liam noticed Zero looked upset, but there was nothing he could do to help- in fact, he thought he'd make her feel worse if he did try to help.