Chapter 17: Through the Door

Wednesday, May 22, 1985
Forgotten Forest, the Mirror World

Third Person's POV
After visiting Klaus and Jesper, Mizuki had finally returned, though for Joker, Alexandria, and Zero, it only seemed she was gone for a minute or two.

The four were searching through the forest of dead trees. Joker was holding the handheld mirror that was given back to them, trying to find something to fix an issue with the mirror.

      "And then they said Yin and Yang are their 'spies,'" Mizuki was explaining as she walked with her friends, "and that they were searching for the mirror to return it to us."

Zero looked at her. "Yin and Yang?"

Alexandria says, "The six?"

     "No, no," said Mizuki. "The new embodiments of Balance."

     "Ah. Perhaps they're the ones who returned our mirror."

      "Yes," Mizuki hesitates, "but even so, should that mean they knew where to find it?"

Alexandria appeared to be thinking. "Good point." And after a brief moment of silence, she asks, "So... Jesper. One. What is he like?"

Zero looked at her and softly replies, "He's nice."

Mizuki nodded her head in agreement. "Yes, so is Klaus. Jesper seems mature for his age, at least for a human."

Zero also nodded in agreement. Alexandria softly smiled.

      "From what I have heard, he lives with a human police woman who looks out for him and the other Zero, or Prince Liam. He is not aware of what is going on." Mizuki bit her gums. "Jesper is very protective of your friends, Zero. He seems very determined to find and help you."

Alexandria then says, "I would be, too. He's lost all his other siblings, that he's been with for most of his life. So meeting you, Zero, was probably like a prayer had been answered."

Zero looked a bit upset. She felt bad for Jesper and hadn't thought of his situation that way before.

Mizuki caught up to Joker when she realized where they now were. When Zero looked at them, she saw Mizuki hiding behind him while a little bit of sunlight was hitting him. This surprised Zero. She hadn't seen sunlight in so long.

Alexandria looked at her, recognizing the look on her face. "...Go ahead, take a look at the sunrise."

Zero looked at her, then continued to walk, walking faster and faster the more she believed she was getting closer to the light.

      "Joker, follow her, please," Alexandria told. "Make sure no one reaches her."

Once Zero began running, Joker began following. But when she thought she finally made it to the sunrise, she was only led to a steep, almost bottomless-seeming cliff. She just saw mist where she thought the ground would be, which was still very far down. Sunlight was shining through the mist. She looked down, just feeling scared and disappointed.

Alexandria and Mizuki caught up to her and Joker.

      "I'm sorry," Alexandria says, "but... this is the edge of this world. The sun never rises, it's stuck on the other side of this place. The sun set on the day Life was killed."