Chapter I

𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰, Konoha's streets bustle with men and women hurrying in and out of the village's gates, forehead protectors tied to their heads and green jackets on their backs. Hatake Kakashi used to be one of them, and he's been missing the thrill of a new mission since he's taken on a genin team. But this time, he welcomes it with a feeling of dread he's not used to and knows he only has one person to blame for it.

That old bat, Kakashi curses, glancing at the three genin across from him, then at the parchment in his hands. He could have waited a few more weeks before assigning them a C-ranked mission.

After an impatient sigh from the girl, Kakashi returns his attention to the group with one last curse for the Hokage. The teenagers await his commands, some more enthusiastic than others. But instead of answering their prayers, Kakashi remains silent, unsure how to proceed.

Five days doesn't seem like enough time to become worthy of a serious mission. It isn't even enough to know someone and teach them something substantial. Yet, they will soon embark on a trip to Waves, even if Kakashi still hasn't decided what he thinks of his team.

From the very first day, this squad was doomed to fail. Or at least that's what Kakashi believed, but somehow they outsmarted him and passed the Bell Test. Yes, as difficult as it is to admit, they outplayed him; that's the only plausible explanation because, Bell Test or not, there isn't an ounce of teamwork in this squad; that much is obvious. And now, with this impending mission, twenty-six-year-old Hatake Kakashi must hurry and teach them how to work together or watch them die a terrible death.

Of course, there is potential in all of them. Two-thirds of the team contains children of the most powerful clans, after all. Uchiha Sasuke's skills even exceed Kakashi's expectations. He never misses a target, knows a bit of ninjutsu, and his taijutsu is rich in deadly combos. His traumatic past must be the only thing that prevented him from entering a team at an earlier age, like his brother. That, and his total disregard for teamwork.

Not that Uzumaki Naruto's teamwork has been any better. How can it be when the boy has a crush on one of his teammates and hates the other? Sadly, Naruto's skills cannot rival Sasuke's; not for now. And as long as the blond doesn't realize his survival depends on the Uchiha's talent, his life will be at risk. An impressive chakra reserve and a stubborn mind cannot save you from the big bad wolf. Ask Obito...

But teaching children about teamwork isn't impossible. To change someone's entire personality is, though. And yet, Kakashi wishes he could because, according to Iruka, Haruno Sakura is a sweet girl with a sharp mind and perfect knowledge of the shinobi life. However, the girl Kakashi has learned to know possesses an awful temper and doesn't even know how to hold a kunai. What's worse, she was supposed to be the peacemaker between two erratic boys full of misplaced rivalry. Instead, she adds fuel to their fire.