Chapter VIII

𝓘'𝓶 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓭𝓸𝓲𝓷𝓰 this to make him love me. I'm doing this because I care for him, no matter what he thinks of me.

Every time Sasuke gets a minute of peace, Sakura's words replay in his mind, confusing him. Somehow, the devotion she proclaimed that day in Waves doesn't match her recent actions or the girl he used to know. There are two different Sakuras, and neither fits his preconception of the pink-haired girl.

Sasuke always thought Haruno Sakura was part of his fan club, that she only wanted his attention, for him to notice her. He was convinced she only cared about his looks, last name, and talent. His father used to say civilians were trying to wed into a prestigious clan to gain status, so it all made sense.

But since the events on the bridge, Sasuke sees Sakura in a different light. What if the girl genuinely cares for him? Not romantically or with ulterior motives? After all, she almost died for him. Why risk her life if she only wants to marry for his status?

Sasuke watches his pink-haired teammate training a few feet away in a clearing, pondering those thoughts.

After consideration, Kakashi accepted the offer to share the Anbu's camp. Team Seven has been working in the village or the fields ever since while the other team focuses on spying and investigating the border. They usually meet in the evening to get some training done. However, Sasuke hasn't worked with any of the Anbu yet. His sensei seems adamant about teaching him some of his stuff. Not that Sasuke complains. The promise of learning a new jutsu is enough to make him shut up, and he surprisingly enjoys his sensei's company, something he would never admit to that lazy pervert. 

But meanwhile, his teammates have to learn from other shinobi. He knows how Naruto felt about that at first. But the blond eventually got past his jealousy and found someone else to pester. More than once, Sasuke has seen Naruto and Bear together. Apart from the classic physical training, he's heard them talk about tactics and strategies.

Sasuke snorts at the thought; it isn't every day that you witness Uzumaki Naruto use his brain.

As for Sakura, she spent the first two evenings training with Mole. The young Anbu focused on flexibility and speed, and Sasuke was impressed by how quickly she learned. But since then, something's changed again in the girl's personality.

For two days now, she's been training with Wolf. Apart from her contract with her ninken, the woman specialized in weaponry. She first corrected Sakura's posture while also throwing insults at the girl, who didn't seem to care the same way she had five days prior. Wolf mocked how Sakura held her kunai and placed her fingers on her shuriken, and Sakura took everything with determination. Since then, her throw has never been better.