Chapter X

𝓝𝓪𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓸  𝓵𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓼  for people to love him. Unfortunately, their attention has always been easier to get than their love. That's why he always goes too far with his pranks, like putting that trashcan on fire. He wanted to make the sick children laugh but had again been misunderstood.

"Alright, that's enough," a nurse snaps, and the blond squirms under her glare. "Naruto-kun, I'm sorry, but you don't get to put a foot in this hospital again unless you're injured. Do you hear me?"

He hurries to nod with a sheepish smile.

"And you," the nurse resumes, turning to Kakashi. The silver-haired man drifts his eye away from his book to the woman before him. "Next time, bring the girl or don't come at all. And stay away from my interns. I need them working, not hidden in a closet."

She reenters the hospital with a swirl of her white coat, leaving the two shinobi on the threshold. After a silent moment, Kakashi snaps his book shut.

"Alright. We should head back, then. Maybe Sasuke and Sakura are still working—if they haven't killed each other already."

Naruto trails after his sensei, his arms crossed behind his head, as they make their way to the rice paddies. He tries to hide his disappointment by joking loudly as he makes fun of the villagers, but by Kakashi's side looks, Naruto knows it isn't working. To divert the attention from him, he blurts out the first thing that comes to mind and instantly regrets it.

"Sensei, what were you doing in the closet with Ayumi-chan?" His cheeks redden when he locks eyes with the silver-haired man. "Never mind. I don't want to know."

Kakashi chuckles, ruffling his spiky blond hair. "You're too young for this conversation. Maybe in a year or two..."

The blond nods, happy to avoid the embarrassing subject.

"What about Sakura-chan, though?" Kakashi asks, returning to his book.

Naruto's attention swirls to the field in front, and he narrows his eyes, looking for a pink head somewhere in the sea of straw hats.

"What about her?"

"Looks like you would love to hide in a closet with her."