Chapter XXIV

𝓢𝓪𝓴𝓾𝓻𝓪'𝓼 𝓫𝓮𝓮𝓷 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓵𝓮𝓭 𝓾𝓹 in a ball, in a pitch-black room, for the longest time. It isn't her typical cell. No shackles are restraining her movements. She can leave, or at least she thinks she can, but she doesn't want to. She doesn't want to see them again, her friends, her family.

Sakura lets another sob out, a hand clenching her shirt. Her lungs burn from the continuous crying, and her cheeks have been wet for what feels like days, but she can't stop. It hurts more than a blade slicing her flesh, than any physical wound.

A part of her still believes it was all just an awful nightmare. It's the same part that wants to stop crying, the girl that hasn't given up yet.

That's Hana, Sakura thinks gloomily.

The other girl doesn't whine or waste precious time hidden behind a curtain of hair. She doesn't wait for everything to stop. She makes it stop.

At that thought, Sakura lifts her head from beneath her knees and thumps it against the back wall, eyes shut. The self-loathing is becoming unbearable. Now that everyone's stopped hurting her, it's as if she has to keep it going.

And she's good at it, has always been. When you think about it, everything they said to her, every insult they spat in her face, was just an echo of what she believed. A reflection of her thoughts and insecurities.

Does it mean she's been right all along?

Is she ugly?

Maybe. Who in the world has pink hair?

Is she weak?

Definitely—she wouldn't be crying right now if not. Plus, she's a civilian and a girl. She can act tough, but no one can change their fate. That was Neji's point the second time he stabbed her.

Is she shallow?

She thought she had changed, but it makes more sense to believe it's been Hana's doing all along. Sakura is a silly little girl, has always been, and that's all she'll ever be.

She slams her head harder against the wall, her fingers plunging deep into the flesh of her palms.