Chapter IV

𝓗𝓮𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓲𝓼 pounding, her shirt clinging to her clammy skin. With her eyes closed, her foggy brain registers the subtle movement of the ground beneath her. It rises and falls, accompanied by the soothing sound of waves.

Sakura pictures herself on a boat, drenched with ocean water and sweat from the summer heat. The seagulls' calls lull her back to sleep, and she revels in the moment until a bird speaks.

"I don't understand," it says, close to her left. "What happened to that man, father? And why are you with three teenagers? Who's the unconscious girl?"

"Shinobi of the Leaf, Tsunami-chan," answers another, "even the girl. She's tougher than she looks, believe me."

There is a shift under her thighs. Someone's holding her up. And that's when it hits her: she isn't on a boat but on someone else's back.

"Sakura?"

Sasuke's voice tickles her ears. She peers through her eyelashes, and her gaze meets two cerulean eyes.

"Sakura-chan! She's waking up, Sasuke! Lay her down!"

"Don't give me orders."

"Well, someone has to, now that Kakashi's out."

Sakura's grip tightens around the boy's neck when she feels him kneel.

"And you think that should be you?"

When Sasuke's hands release her thighs, she engulfs her nose in the crook of his neck. He smells of sweat and pine and home, and she doesn't want to let go, not now, never.

"Sakura, help me here."

"Oi! Don't you dare drop her!"

She hears Naruto's hurried footsteps and hides her face more deeply inside Sasuke's jet-black hair. She feels him shiver.

"I won't drop her, idiot."

"Of course, you will." Naruto's hands wrap around her waist. "You can let go, Sakura-chan. I've got you."