22: Duty

i just finalized the ending for this story and asuhaosfhasifh

...

The sun had set, Liyue Harbour was about to sleep. Only then, would Ganyu be free to wander the city, the mountains, the harbor, or wherever else she desired; for only then, would she had finished her work as Ningguang's secretary. 

Tonight, she would take a stroll on the city streets, taking in the sights of a blooming civilization - one with humans in govern, one that no longer reigned by the rule of gods and adepti. Every night when she gazed at the city, she would be reminded of her sworn duty; to fight, to maintain, to protect Liyue.

This role, however, had slowly dimmed into the background. Nowadays, Ganyu was too preoccupied with paperwork and management that 'ridding the world of evil' had become a faint memory in her mind.

Her feet tapped against the stone paths, illuminated under the glow of street lanterns. She came to a halt upon reaching the docks, for she saw a familiar figure, sitting on the wooden edge with her feet dipped in the water.

"Y/N?"

The girl peeked up at Ganyu, the soft, yellow light reflecting a glint in her eyes.

"Oh! Ganyu," she smiled, "Whatcha doing?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Ganyu sat cross-legged beside Y/N, who shifted sideways to make room for the latter.

"I don't know," Y/N muttered, staring at her feet distorting under the cool, darkened water. They both shivered as a chilly breeze stung their skin. 

"I'm sorry I haven't told you, but the Fatui have been chasing after our tails, putting devices near the city and trying to strip our land of meat. That's why I came here to learn Liyue's preservation methods."

Y/N sighed, resting her forehead on her hands as she shook her head.

"I'm worried. After you left the butcher shop that day, I stayed back to practice by myself. I just...couldn't get it right. How can I expect to teach others when I can't even get the procedure down myself? They left me with such a big responsibility, I-"

Her sentence was cut off with a slap across the face.

Y/N paused, her mouth opened, stunned. She turned back to see Ganyu staring into her eyes, her expression still as soft as ever, as if she had done absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

"Did you just slap me?" Y/N challenged.

"Yes."

"Wha- Why?"

"Because you need to get a hold of yourself."

Y/N shut up. 

Ganyu let out a heave as she continued, "Remember when we met? You stole my sweet flower?"

The traveler scoffed, "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Ugh...it's so stupid," a rustle of wind blew on the loose strands of Ganyu's light blue hair as she shook her head, "I was just thinking that if you didn't show up, I might've not even eaten a single flower. Even if I wanted too."

Y/N stifled a laugh, "Are you watching your physique or something?" she joked.

Ganyu tensed and pursed her lips. Her silence told Y/N everything she needed to know.

"Oh," she mumbled, breaking eye contact, "I'm sorry."

(^that's cannon btw)

"It's fine." Ganyu cleared her throat, regaining her composure. "But it's true, you taught me that I have full control over my mind. I can do what I want, even if my subconscious stops me."