43: Unforeseen Outcomes

i made an update schedule lolz:

- every thursday (this update will be weekly)

- sunday (around once a month, additional to the weekly update)

- any other day if i feel like it hahahaa

okay thank u!

.

.

.

Jean looked up from her desk as the wooden office door creaked open. The room was dimly lit by a set of cream white candlesticks melting on rusty golden stands, the gentle glow flickering over the sheets of paper and books towered atop the Acting Grandmaster's desk.

A flurry of vibrant red hair peeked through the doorway, and the sight of Diluc followed soon after.

"Why don't you turn the lights on?" he grunted.

Jean stifled a laugh as he shuffled into the room.

"I was about to prepare for sleep, but..." She let out a heavy sigh.

"A few thoughts came up. Got me worried."

"Hm," Diluc nodded his head. "Understandable. You should take care of yourself."

Jean smiled, the light not reaching her eyes. With the diplomatic and internal pressure within the city to find a quick solution for the current crisis, Mondstat's leader had been suffering countless sleepless nights. For once, she knew that a famine was not something her government could handle alone. She'd be the first to admit that they needed all the help they could get.

 "Did you speak to Y/N yet?" she asked, her tone calm, though it was obvious what answer she yearned to hear.

"Yes, I have," Diluc murmured. "She refused."

The Acting Grandmaster blinked, the words having not been fully processed in her mind.

"Are you certain?"

"Yes."

"Flat-out refusal?"

"Mmhm."

Jean leaned back in her velvet-cushioned chair, eyes widened in disbelief. Diluc gazed back at her with the same stoic gaze. He seemed unfazed, barely disappointed. Though perhaps, he should've been.

"Well then," Jean muttered. "It's alright. I've sent Aether to deliver a request to the Liyue Qixing already. I imagine that we have enough help on the way."

She sounded as if she were trying to convince herself more than Diluc. The latter simply nodded, staying silent as his attention was captured by a crack of wood on the edge of Jean's desk.

"I'd like to speak with Y/N, however," Jean uttered to herself. "Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on her. What do you think, Diluc?"

"It depends how you look at it," Diluc hummed. "Personally, I think you were acting with pure morality. You didn't do anything wrong, Y/N was irresponsible for how she threw the Knight's name around with the Qixing."

Jean pursed her lips, head lowered and silent in thinking. Everything she had done - everything she worked for - was all for the people of Mondstat. Though she had helped the people relentlessly and deservedly, gained their respect, her bond with the citizens wasn't strong enough to maintain their unrelenting support.

"Do you know where Y/N is?" Jean sat up in her seat.

Diluc huffed with a flare of his nostrils.