15: Unveiled

hello!

idk if you've already notices, but i've changed the name of this story to 'rising storm' because it fits a lot better than 'the new traveller' considering what i have planned for the plot

anyway, enjoy!

...

"Venti, what are you doing here?"

The bard grumbled, fixing his hat which had collapsed on his head upon impact. He looked up to see the furious eyes of Favonian vision-wielders, towering over him, their stares demanding him to speak.

"Haha!" he brightened up despite the circumstances. "You caught me this time! Good game!"

Jean sighed, "It's you, bard, how did you manage to enter this building? I ordered for the HQ's security to be increased..." she exasperated.

"Oh, it was no biggie! A few mere guards are nowhere near enough to stop a curious wanderer like me." he winked. "Besides, it's not like I'm the only one who managed to avoid any complications,"

Venti shifted his gaze up to stare through the vents, looking Y/N straight in the eyes. The girl's breath hitched as she yanked herself back in fear. How did he know she was here?

The bard giggled at the traveler's panicked reaction.

"Awww, Y/N. No need to be scared, come on down!"

Busted.

Diluc groaned, "Tch, well isn't this unsettling? I wonder just how many more curious wanderers have managed to intrude."

Y/N gulped. There was no point in hiding now.

"Ah- ahem. Please...look out."

She stabbed out the vent's opening with her spear, the metal clattering as it fell on the wooden floor.

"Great," Kaeya glowered. "Amber, get the repair company on the phone."

Y/N shoved herself out of the vents, landing nimbly on the floor, only to be kicked down by Kaeya immediately after. She landed with a thud this time, the air being knocked out of her lungs as she heaved.

"Fools. Now we'll have to perform an entire system check up because of you. Do you have any idea how delicate our air vents are? One human's weight is enough to weaken their beautiful form!"

The rest of the Knights shook their heads in disapproval at their Cavalry Captain's antics. Out of all the things to be concerned about, the cooling system's condition was the most prominent to him.

"Y/N, you too?" Aether gasped, shoving Kaeya out of the way. "Why? I thought you were going to stay back in the city!"

"And let you keep hiding secrets from me?" Y/N retaliated, standing back up from the Kaeya's previous blow. "I've been involved in so much of this Fatui business and nobody has spared me any explanation! Let me in on this! I know I'm not one of the Knights, but I can at least do something, can't I?"

"Nonsense." Diluc hissed, taking a threatening stance. "You sneak into a classified meeting in which you were not invited too, and expect things to go swell without consequences?". 

Y/N gulped down her fear and intimidation, glancing nervously around the room, at Jean, at Venti, at Aether. They all stared back at her with their eyes narrowed; their gazes puzzled, with a tinge of disappointment.

"You may be an adventurer, but you're still a mere citizen. Don't get full of yourself and try to get involved with executive disputes."

Y/N's heart stopped upon Diluc's harsh words, his voice shooting arrows into her core. His statement stung so deep, because she knew they were true; she was just a citizen, meant to be protected by the Knights. It doesn't sound so bad, doesn't it? Then why did Y/N feel so wary of her title?