41: Morality

heyyyyy hello what is up homies

.

.

.

"Aether? Where are you going?"

After few days of sulking - wandering around houses aimlessly, delivering portions of meat and being met with dissatisfaction at every door - the traveler had finally lit just a flame of determination in his eyes. He had been so wary, so unsure, that Paimon was beginning to get worried.

Aether marched towards the gate, not caring to greet Kathryne or the other guild members as he usually did.

"Come, Paimon. We're going to Inazuma."

The pixie widened her eyes. "Huh? Wait, what?"

She rushed to stop the traveler with her arms held out.

"Did Paimon hear you correctly? You want to go to Inazuma?"

"It's been our goal from the beginning, remember?" Aether urged. "To find the Seven and find my sister? So far, we've barely made any progress. I'm tired of just...waiting around."

Paimon shook her head. 

"Aether are you listening to yourself?" she scolded. "You're going to leave Mondstat while it's in the middle of a crisis? The people need our help!"

The traveler flinched. "But Paimon, I'm running out of time..."

He sighed, lowering his gaze to the ground.

"I've been thinking, you know? Why things seem to be going downhill recently?" he whispered. "It's because I keep pushing back my goal, I keep prolonging the journey. The longer Lumine and I are apart, the more time it'll take to get her back."

"But the journey counts too, right?" Paimon cried. "What about Mondstat? Aren't they your family too?"

Aether paused.

Family...

"This isn't like you! You can't leave them!"

The traveler lifted his gaze. He didn't want to leave, but his time was running out; like sands slipping through the cracks of his hands, Aether could feel his hope slipping away.

"Yes, they are my family..." he murmured. "I have many families, but I only have one home. The Knights will be fine without me, they've been fine without me before."

With that final statement, he began walking off. 

For Aether, having Paimon by his side was a no-brainer. She was like an external organ of his, faithfully trailing behind him like the loyal companion she was. He was surprised when he kept walking and didn't feel the pixie's presence floating around him. Aether whipped his head around to check; Paimon hadn't even budged.

"What about me?" she whimpered, looking up at the traveler. "Is Paimon that replaceable to you as well?"

Aether paused.

"What are you talking about?"

"Paimon should've guessed..." the fairy mumbled. "You've probably been to countless worlds before, huh? Teyvat is probably just one of them, and Mondstat is just another city. Paimon's just another companion."

"No..." Aether shook his head. "You're all very important to me."

"But Lumine is more important, right?"

Aether gulped, then looked away. "Don't you think I ought to make some decisions to benefit myself for once?"

"And abandon Mondstat at the same time?" Paimon yelled. "Please, Aether. This city was your first in Teyvat. How many times have you saved us? How many memories have you made? Don't you want to protect them? What will the Knights think if you just leave?"