48: Fall, Rise, and Fall Again

i'm back from hiatus!!

also next week will be a double update!

1. regular chap

2. EVENT !!! drop some story prompts and random things you want to happen to/between the characters in the comments of this text! i'll do my best to fit as much of them into one crackfic chapter, think back to the april fools chap its gonna be kinda like that lol. so basically anything you want to happen exclusive to this fic LEMME KNOW AND ILL DO MY BEST!!! if ur in the disc server im more likely to check soo aha drop them in the #story-discussion channel.

also apologies in advance to the nimrod x eury shippers in this chap

...

"Ah, thank you so much Y/N!"

The cat, it's pelt as dark as night, leapt into Margaret's arms as the middle-aged woman nuzzled her face against it's whiskers.

"No problem, no problem!" Y/N huffed with a hand on her hip, the other frantically fanning her face that burned after chasing around a stray cat in the scalding sun.

"Ugh, I keep telling myself to keep an eye on Prince, but this little guy just keeps running away!" Margaret scolded herself. "Apologies again for troubling you. How many times have I called for your help? This is the fifth time, no?"

"Haha, don't worry about it, really!" Y/N grinned. "This is my job after all."

"That's not an excuse." Margaret frowned. "Ah, here's your compensation."

The brunette plopped a leather bag full of mora onto the traveler's hands, along with a silver pendant embedded with a glistening violet jewel.

Y/N eyed the necklace with a small smile.

"What's this for?"

"Because I keep calling for you, of course," the barowner sighed. "Just some old heirloom I had lying around in the shop. Take it, it's yours!"

The traveler smiled and bowed.

"Thank you so much, have a great day!"

This had been Y/N's daily schedule ever since she freed Mondstat from the Fatui's clutch; wake-up, help people, help Jean, train, sleep. Not that she was complaining, these last days were the happiest she'd ever had. It was tiring, but fulfilling. After all, gaining recognition and acceptance from the city was what she had been working towards all along.

"Hey, Ms. Honorary Knight!" a cheerful voice hooted from behind.

Y/N snickered at the sound of her voice, turning around to see Amber, marching towards her while squiggling her eyebrows.

"Yes, Outrider?" she laughed in response..

Amber paused. "Wow, I can't believe I actually get to call you that now! Honorary Knight..."

She shook her head. 

"Anyways! It's been a while since we grabbed lunch together, huh? Good Hunter's. My treat. Aether will be there too. What do you say?"

Y/N perked up. "Aether will be there?"

"Yeah, why?" Amber tilted her head. "I thought you two already made up?"

"I mean, we did but-"

The traveler sighed. "He hasn't spoken to me since that day in the Cathedral. Not being hostile or anything though. I'm not sure if he wants to talk to me..."

His words echoed once again in Y/N's head

"I'm proud of you."

The audacity someone must have to say such kind, encouraging words, and then proceed to ghost the recipient for days straight. Y/N wasn't sure what had went wrong, but their status as of now was something less than friends.