35: The Dark Side...Not?

yeet

...

Childe raised an eyebrow. "Really?" he laughed. "It was that easy? Honestly, I thought it would be a lot harder to convince you."

"Well, uh. Sorry to disappoint, but I guess not." Y/N shrugged.

The harbinger shook his head with a smile. "No, I'm glad. We'll treat you much better than the Knights, and our encouragement will allow your true potential to blossom. You made the right choice."

He reached back and pulled out a dark purple mask: two slits were cut for the eyes, black carvings laced the mauve base in outwards swirls.

"I applaud you. Welcome, traveler." Childe held the mask out in his hands. "See it as sort of an initiation process. Once you put this on, our contract will be set in stone."

Y/N stared at the visor. She gulped: the mask seemed to glow as her vision focused on it's smooth curves and edges, as if it was a dazzling jewel waiting to be polished and worn by her, and only her.

The harbinger clicked his tongue. "Are you going to take it or what?"

Y/N refocused her attention, blinking as she shook her head. She took a two steps towards Childe, but made no effort to take the mask from his hand.

"I'll take it on one condition." Her eyes met blue ones, and she maintained her gaze despite the intimidation. "Tell me what the devices are for. You're not actually attacking Mondstat, are you? So what's your goal?"

The harbinger snorted. "You're getting ahead of yourself." he chuckled. "Take the mask first, then I'll tell you."

"No, tell me now." Y/N snapped. "Show me that you actually trust me. Spill."

"Well, I'll trust you once you take the mask." Childe shot back. "Why are you being so hesitant? It shouldn't be a problem. Don't you intend to join us?"

The traveler clicked her tongue. "Yeah, um. That was a lie." 

(srry besties no villain arc yet it's only act 2 and there are like 4 acts total lolz)

Y/N knocked the mask from Childe's grasp. The wooden surface landed with a 'thud' on the grass-covered earth, rolling through the bushes as dirt tainted it's regal color.

Childe frowned. "Excuse you. That model was custom-made." His tone grew sharper with every word.

"I don't care, I'm not joining either way." Y/N's gaze burned into the harbinger's as she spoke. "You're going to tell me what those devices are for. And you're going to tell me now."

"And if I don't?" Childe raised an eyebrow before snickering at the traveler's bullheadedness.

"You will."

Before he could react, the cold, round surface of a metal spear was shoved onto his throat. Childe didn't even notice he was being attacked, until the air was knocked out of his lungs as his back slammed onto the ground. Y/N loomed over him with both hands grasped firmly on each side of her weapon, Childe gasped for air underneath the spear's weight.

"How you like that, huh?" Y/N hissed, pushing down further into the harbinger's neck each time he wheezed and slapped at her hands. "Not so cocky now, are we? Tell me what it's for, and I might just let you go-"

Her phrase was cut off by a kick in the abdomen: Childe had wriggled his leg loose to stab a kneecap into Y/N's sides. She immediately retracted, rolling onto the ground, grasping onto her core as she hissed in pain. Her spear tumbled on the ground, and Childe picked it up as he heaved himself on his feet.