39: Liar

oop

.

.

.

"Bring back the Knights!"

It was chaos. Absolute chaos.

Dozens of citizens banging on large white doors, hurling Fisherman's Toasts and Sweet Madames onto cobblestone walls until they were completely drenched in splatters of food. They screamed and chanted as if they're lives depended on it. Chained forces of armed guard urged them to 'get back!', but even they were just barely holding off the fury that had built up within their own citizens.

"This is injustice! You Knights are corrupt!"

"We deserve to know what is happening!"

"How long have you been hiding this? What are you going to do to protect us?"

"Face us, Jean! Come out and face us!"

From the other side of the door, the Acting Grand Master pondered in circles, with the rest of their military lined along the walls.

"What's the situation like, Kaeya?"

The Cavalry Caption retreated from the door's tiny peephole.

"Jean, it's reigning hell." He chuckled.

She let out a sigh as her circle-tracing came to a halt.

"Let me talk to them."

She marched towards the HQ exit, before Kaeya blocked her path with both arms stretched out.

"Are you crazy?" he hissed, looming over his boss. "Be aware: those are your people. But right now, they want your head in a basket."

Jean narrowed her eyes. "Which is exactly why I should make a public statement."

She shoved Kaeya's arm from her face, rushing towards the door.

"Hm, your tenser than usual."

Kaeya's snarky remark froze her in place before she could leave.

"Pardon?" Jean whipped her head around in disbelief. Kaeya had the same glint in his eyes; the one that flashed whenever someone acted to his satisfaction.

"I said, you're tenser than usual. Is this whole Fatui conflict getting to you?" he cooed.

Jean bit the insides of her cheeks to regain her unfaltering composure.

"That was unnecessary, Alberich. Now is not the time for your games."

With that, she strutted out the door. Ignoring whatever reaction the Cavalry Captain decided to give.

...

As soon as the face of the Knights appeared into view, the crowd grew in both volume and movement.

"Everybody, calm down!" she screamed at the top of her lungs, her hands stretched out in attempt to tame the herd of citizens clawing at her forces.

But Jean's people seemed to barely recognize her. She was so respected, so trusted. And yet, Mondstat had no more adoration in their eyes; only animosity and betrayal.

"Calm down!" she screamed again, her voice growing hoarse. "Calm down! Listen to me!"

The crowd ignored her cries once again. It was no use; Jean couldn't continue like this. Hesitantly, she gripped onto her sword by it's handle. She unsheathed it from it's case hung by her hip, slamming the blade onto the stone pole beside her with a deafening 'clank'.