38: Trying

ayo y/n is collected for once???

.

.

.

Soon enough, Y/N found herself visiting that same rock in Wolvendom at least three times every week. As if the traveler hadn't been disappearing regularly enough, she was now rarely seen within Mondstat's walls; only in the morning to pack her meals, and late at night when she returned.

Tonight was no different. The forests filled with the clashing of metal and the heavy pants of two duelers. Their boots slipped on the mud ground as their blades danced under a starry sky . Y/N's heart pounded with adrenaline. She wasn't going to lose this time.

"So," Childe huffed out between gasps, "What's up with you and the Honorary Knight?"

"Hah?" Y/N shouted as she blocked a strike with her polearm. "Wha- what about him?"

The harbinger's swords persisted against the metal. Y/N hissed through her teeth, feeling her arms tremble against the numbing force.

"You know what I'm talking about. I was there at Windrise when that little fight happened."

"I have no idea what you're saying!"

She thrashed out her foot, aiming for the center of Childe's belly. As if predicting Y/N's movements, the latter dodged to the side. The traveler's leg was kicked up, and she fell back on the ground with a loud thud and a desperate heave.

"Predictable, as always." Childe winced as he too, slumped knees first on the ground.

Y/N laid still on the grass, her breath scathing her throat with the rapid rise and fall of her chest.

"The spear...was gonna slip..." she rasped. "And if I let go...y- you would've gotten me..."

"I- I got you either way..." Childe smeared the sweat off his forehead. "Be more interesting next time, for both our sakes..."

Y/N tilted her head up to glare at the harbinger, before flopping it back down in defeat.

"Yeah...whatever." 

Childe heaved himself back onto his feet, stretching his arms up to feel the cool air brush against his boiling skin. 

"Anyway," he muttered. "You sure your friends are okay with you coming out here all the time? They'll get mad at you if you keep disappearing."

Y/N scoffed, still staring at the dark sky. "You're just scared they'll get suspicious. Don't worry. They probably don't even care."

"You can't know that for sure."

Y/N raised an eyebrow. "I honestly doubt they even notice I'm gone."

Childe sighed, yanking the girl's arm to force her on her feet. 

"You should talk to them." he uttered as he handed Y/N her spear. "Family is important, no matter where you are. You can't be part of a community without communication."

"They're the ones that aren't communicating with me." Y/N snatched her weapon from the harbinger's grasp. "And I have enough support around me to do things on my own."

Childe clicked his tongue. "Just give it a try. See how it turns out. You're fighting gets boring when there's something bothering you."

He patted Y/N's shoulder, but they felt more like shoves. "I'll be off now, then. See you next time. And don't miss me too much!"

"Yeah. Okay. See you next time."

The harbinger flashed a small grin before strutting off. As if on impulse, Y/N's hands shoved into her pockets, pulling them out with a Kamera in her grasp. The familiar click and shutter wiggled in her palms; until the sheathing stopped, and the Kamera was in her pockets once again.