44: Villain's Questioning

SORRY FOR NO UPDATES this is a very short chapter because this month is very busyyy for some reason haha

also, i've been thinking and i decided that i will continue using she/her in this book simply because that's what i started out with. if i write another fic in the future, though, i'll definitely be using gender-neutral pronouns.

okayy enjoy

.

.

.

Childe immediately stopped struggling.

Who is this guy?  he screamed internally.

"Good. Compliance was the smart choice," the voice grumbled again in his ear.

Childe tried forcing open his mouth to speak, only for them to immediately be muffled by rough leather fabric: gloves - he presumed.

A grim fire had lit inside the harbinger's core: he wanted to fight, he wanted to beat this man to a pulp for thinking he could lay his hands on a Fatui Harbinger himself without facing the immediate consequences

But Childe knew better than that.

He suppressed the urge to stab this man in the guts with a flick of his water blades, his clenched palms relaxing at his sides. The man had been generous - or naive - enough not to remove his Vision. He must've assumed ahead of time that Childe wouldn't dare fight back. It was pathetic, really. But now even a Fatui Harbinger would be spared with letting their target get killed.

Even if this man was bluffing, Childe didn't want to take the chance.

"Let's go. Maintain your obedience, understand?"

Childe felt a rough tug on the rope wrapped around his hands. He tumbled forwards as he was yanked away, nearly tripping on a pebble.

What a gentleman... Childe wanted to sneer.

The harbinger twitched with uncertainty as their walk prolonged to what felt like an hour. They had the upper hand, Childe swore they did. Fatui were dispatched all around Mondstat, and La Signora was already on the way. And yet, another contender had appeared. What could they possibly have to do with Y/N?

Suddenly, their hiking came to a halt. Childe felt the man's grip on his mouth and arms loosen.

A chance to fight back.

But of course, the only reaction he gave was a little finger twitch.

"Amber..." the man whispered, sounding meek in comparison to his previous hissing. "What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be..." he trailed off.

There was no response as the air suddenly felt cold. Childe gulped as the wind fluttered by; he couldn't see, but the atmosphere felt tense as is.

"...I'm part of this too," a soft voice hushed out, so quietly one would mistake it for the breeze.

Childe heard the man stifle an argument, followed by a series of whispers and shuffling. All the while, he simply stood in place with his shoulders tense, until a wooden chair was kicked under his knees.

"Sit," the man ordered.

And so Childe complied.

The rough leather gloves were finally unclasped from his mouth, almost earning a sigh of relief from Childe. He felt rope tying his feet to the chair's legs, his arms cast over the back-rest to prevent escape.

"Can we remove his blinds?" the new voice muttered.

"Go for it," the man responded. "It's not like he can move anyways."

A pair of hands untied the knot from behind Childe's head, and the fabric feel loose onto his lap.

Childe was immediately met with his kidnapper standing over him, arms crossed and sneering. He wore a dark, embroided coat with the cuffs of his sleeves extending to the dark gloves covering his hands. A black mask - reminiscent of that of the Fatui's - concealed the upper half of their face, his fiery red hair sprouting from a low ponytail.

"Childe..." 

The harbinger whipped his head around to his name being called.

He widened his eyes.

"Y/N..."

Tears stained her puffed, red cheeks. Even in the dark night, her anguish-stricken expression sent shivers down Childe's spine. She was tied to a chair, struggling against the ropes - just like him.

"Y/N, who are these people?" he urged as calmly as possible, though his words were rushed and frantic.

Y/N just cried even more.

The girl that untied Childe's blindfold sighed.

"Diluc, let's go talk somewhere else. They won't move anywhere else."

Diluc, huh? Childe remembered to keep that name in mind.

The man nodded as he was led away by the brunette. Childe observed them silently, noting down the Visions that hung loosely at their hips. What he found the most interesting, however, was the fact that the brunette wore the Knights of Favonius emblem on her shoulders.

Y/N was still whimpering beside him. That wouldn't do, he needed her to calm down.

"Hey, hey. Listen, Y/N..." he whispered, but to no avail. The girl wouldn't even look him in the eyes.

"Y/N, listen to me..." He tried again. "I'm assuming those people are your friends, why are they holding you hostage? I need to know, Y/N. Did you do something to hurt them? Why have they done this?"

The girl kept crying, her wails growing into incomprehensible sobs. 

"Y/N..." Childe uttered. "Hey-"

The harbinger found her crying strange. He couldn't imagine Y/N losing her composure in such a desperate situation, her wails even sounded - dare he say - funny.

"Don't cry, Y/N," Childe whispered. "We're going to be safe. I have people on the way here, your friends will be no match for them. Don't worry, we're going to be okay."

Suddenly, the girl fell silent.

"Your team is coming?" she uttered.

"Well, yes. Wha-"

Y/N suddenly turned her head towards Childe with a smile on her face, as if the previous anguish was never present to begin with.

"Why are you smiling..." Childe sputtered with concern.

Her grin turned into a frown right away.

"I'm sorry Childe..."

The harbinger narrowed his eyes.

"Sorry for what?"

.

.

.

AAAAAAAA