29: Protagonist

THANKS FOR 70K BESTIESSSSS <3

...

"Aether? What was that?"

Paimon twirled from both of Aether's shoulders, trailing behind the traveler like a tiny shadow. 

"That didn't seem like you at all! Are you alright?"

Perhaps after such a performance, the blonde should've been caught in a whirlwind of anger and confusion. However, he felt calm - strangely: as if a huge weight had been lifted from his chest, and he could now breathe with ease. 

 Paimon only thought Aether's actions weren't like him because the traveler never showed any weakness in front of her. But of course, he'd never say that outloud.

After all, he had gone through the experience of this world without sparing even a hint of discontent or distress - so much that it was simply inhumane. He envied Y/N: she was able to show emotion so freely, without the fear that it would bring her down: she punched the secretary of the Liyue Qixing, and somehow managed to get away with it.

And yet, Venti comforted  her. What if it were Aether? Would Venti had done the same to him?

Probably not. One step out of the ordinary meant a plummet in his reputation: a streak of red paint on his image. He would've gotten looks of disappointment and regret. That, and a spiral of rumors circling around the nation: 'Mondstat's Honorary Knight: Gone Rogue?'

"Do you really think Y/N deserved that?" Paimon murmured.

No, she didn't. But both of them needed it.

Aether sighed. "I don't know."

He took a pause in his steps. "But...I guess you're right."

Paimon flew in front of him, they were finally face to face.

"I know I called her weak." He gave a small chuckle. "But maybe, I'm the weak one here."

...

Y/N lifted her swollen cheeks from Venti's shoulder. Aether had left. It was just them now.

"Don't listen to him." Venti re-adjusted the head-piece in her hair. "I'm sure didn't mean it. I have no idea what's gotten into him."

The girl didn't respond, staring at the ground with her glassy eyes as Venti tugged at her hair. 

Was Y/N mad? Even she didn't know. There was only a blank, empty feeling left as a painful residue from Aether's words. But though his voice stung before, they were gone now. The piercing ache of his projections had left along with him.

Aether wasn't wrong: Y/N was  weak. What hurt the most was that he was able to catch on to this fact. Aether was so willing to help, so generous, so kind-hearted and eager to see the good in people. Yet, she had let him down. He was gone now.

"Hey, are you alright?"

Y/N flinched as Venti's voice snapped her out of her trance. 

She nodded vigorously. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" 

"Mhm." Y/N muttered as she stood up. "I...think I'm gonna take a walk. If that's alright."

"Oh! Yes, of course. Take your time." He smiled. "And if you ever need help, I'm always here, okay?"

Y/N scrubbed away the tears that still haunted her eyes and face. "Thank you, Venti. So much." 

She mustered up a smile as she began to walk away. "I promise I'll repay you..."

Yes, she would. She would work to become stronger, strong enough so not to burden those around her: strong enough so that she could take a stand on her own.