Asshole Of The Year Pt. 2

Norah's POV

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, leaning against the door.

"Are you busy?" He asked me. I rolled my eyes at him.

"The party's over, Ponyboy."

"Well, can I come in for a while?" I crossed my arms in front of me.

"No, why? what's up with you?"

"Val and I-" I cut him off.

"Of course, Val as always. What is it this time?" I said to him.

"I don't know. I think I made a big mistake." He said with his head hung low.

I sighed really loud.

"Well, you know, as fascinating as that subject is to me, it's late and I want to go to bed." I said to him. I attempted to slam the door in his face, but he caught it in time with his hand, blocking me from shutting it.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute. What are you so upset about?" He asked me.

I laughed sarcastically.

"Oh, nothing much. See, I have this party tonight for a friend. Only, there was this big highlight to the evening and I didn't know what it was. But what it turns out to be is a couple of friends SCREWING in my parents bedroom! Well, the next time you're gonna do something like this, do you mind telling me first? I don't like being used!" I yelled at him. It felt good to get that off my chest.

"Nor, I didn't know that was gonna happen I swear." He said.

"Well, everybody else did." I said back.

"Well, not much happened."

"Yeah, not much."

"Nothing happened, okay? Nothing happened." He reassured me, but I wasn't buying it.

"Well, then what were you doing up there?" I asked.

"Look it didn't happen!" He said, raising his voice at me all frustrated. "I'm not supposed to tell anybody this because she wants everybody to think that we had this wonderful experience. But that's not even what I came here for."

"Well, am I supposed to guess?!" I said, getting frustrated with him and getting impatient. He doesn't know Soda is here and THANK GOD he's waiting patiently in the house.

"Would you go out with me sometime?"

Is he serious right now? Did I hear him correctly?

"What?"

"I think we ought to go on a real date. You and me, together." He said smiling at me.

I rolled my eyes.

"What the hell happened to Valerie?"

"I don't know what the hell happened to Valerie, I don't know. It just wasn't what I thought it was supposed to be. I expected her to be like.. you."

Oh, puh-lease! Don't fall for it.

"You know, when we have a good time together. That's what I expected, but it wasn't like that. All right, so she's the most beautiful girl in school. For all I know, she's the most beautiful girl in the world. But you can only look for so long. Cause when you start listening.. man, all the lights are on, but nobody's home."

He steps forward, caresses my cheek, and looks into my eyes.

"Nor, you and I have been friends for a long time. And I like being with you more than with anybody else. You probably don't even feel like that towards me. Look, maybe we're overlooking something here. Maybe we should go on a real date. Just to see, you know? What do you think? It's always been you, Norah." He said to me in a low whisper.

I looked down and took his hand off my face. He stepped away from me.

"You wanna know what I think?" He nodded.

"Ponyboy.. I think you just won the asshole of the year award. So, fuck you." I said and slammed the door in his face.

I stayed put, not moving. Trying to process what he just said. I cover my face with my hands and just breath. Soda walked to me and put his arms around me from behind. I turned around and hugged him tight.

"You're strong, I know it." He whispered in my ear.

I look up at him and caress the left side of his face. I tiptoed and kissed him. I know this maybe a bad idea, but it's my last night and I wanna.. no, I'm gonna raise HELL.

The kiss was getting heated. Soda bent down a little bit and grabbed my legs and carried me up the stairs to my room.

What a night.