two

two: friend

"Hey Casper," Krista smiled the moment Casper called, answering it. Happiness filled in her, being aware that Casper still cares for her despite those excuses he make. Valentine's Day passed by and she's completely gotten over it. She doesn't want to make it a big deal.

"Hi Krista. I'm so sorry I didn't go on a date with you last time. I hope you forgive me," he said and Krista can imagine that he's frowning right now. Hell of a drama, she thought to herself. She didn't even make it a big deal but noticing how guilty Casper sounded like, she went suspicious.

"It's all right, Casper. As long as you're not cheating on me and it's thesis," she chuckled about what she said, he didn't. The conversation went tense and neither of them spoke for seconds. "Just kidding, I know you won't cheat on me, right? You promised that I'm the only one, if I'm correct?"

"Yes, Krista, of course. You know I love you very much and I miss you," he chuckled and earned a heavy pant in the end, "I missed your voice, your smile, your face... oh God, everything I miss everything on you."

Krista laughed softly, but sadness filling inside her because she couldn't trust Casper completely at this moment. Her laughter died slowly and spoke, "I miss you too. When will I ever get to see you?"

"Uh — I don't know yet. I am doing thesis right now," he said and Krista thought, he's back at it again with the fucking thesis excuse. She thinks he's so dumb to repeat that excuse and it's getting obvious.

"Well, Casper?" I murmured, calling his name. "How about I visit your house so that you won't bother to go here? I can bring doughnuts if you want to."

"Krista, I'm absolutely sorry but I have to turn your offer down. Look, I really don't have time to kiss you right now. I'm really busy with thesis and be thankful that I called you when I shouldn't have because of this damn thesis. But obviously, you're my girlfriend; of course I have to call you. I'm sorry, I have no time right now," he explained, panting in every word.

Krista's heart felt like it shattered into million pieces; being rejected by her own boyfriend is not what she expected. She couldn't even believe that she got turned down when in fact, she's the one who invited him nicely. It's not like I am going to kiss him all the time whenever I get to see him; a fucktard. She huffed loudly, enough for Casper to hear and tried her best to sound calm, "I truly understand your situation, okay? Good bye."

"Yeah, bye. I'm really sorry Krista but I love you," he replied softly.

"Fuck you too," she groaned and eventually ended the call. She knows she's mad at him, which is very unusual for her. Fuck him, fuck his thesis, fuck everything. She didn't even regret a single thing for cursing at Casper when in fact, it made her feel better. Her main stress-reliever is to space out in her bathtub so she decided to take a bath, a warm one. 

In the midst of spacing out, once again, in her bathtub, she heard a loud knock on her front door. Annoyed because her thoughts were cut off, she instantly went out of the tub and wrapped the towel in her body. She started walking to get the door but she heard her phone vibrate. She decided to get the phone first before opening the door but then another loud knock was heard which clearly pissed her off.

If this ain't Casper, Krista would feel annoyed as hell. She opened the door and a tall man she's not familiar of is in front of her almost-naked appearance. The guy has the looks; she wants to admit it. His eyes are slanted just perfectly fine, his face so small and smooth, his skin so pale and white, he's pretty tall; taller than Casper, he has broad shoulders which adds that his arms are muscular, his eyebrows too thick to be dramatic, and his pink plump lips reflecting his unique physical appearance. Krista noticed he's bringing a basket on his veiny hands.

Krista felt flustered, realizing that she's in front of a stranger as she isn't wearing anything except for her damn towel. She instantly shut the door with full force and locked it in front of the unacquainted man. Running to her bedroom to immediately put on some clothes, a soft knock was heard again. Krista wondered why he couldn't speak at all, nor why she couldn't speak as well. Were they both nervous? The moment she's finished, she opened the door once again, checking if the stranger is still in front of her room. Unfortunately, he left, leaving the basket he was carrying earlier on the floor.

I made him wait. What a fucking shame, Krista.

She suddenly wondered who the man was earlier. She didn't even get the chance to talk to him. She grabbed the basket lying on the floor and checked what is inside it. Sushi, her mind says. Closing the door behind her, still holding the basket, she noticed a paper beside the food. She flipped the paper and noticed a penmanship probably from the guy that knocked on her door awhile ago.

Hello!

I'm new here in this apartment and in this country as well. I want to make friends since I only live alone and I'm still not used to living here. So I am going to start introducing myself. I'm Kim Seokjin from Korea; you can call me Jin. I moved to California because I got a scholarship. I made sushi for you so I could at least give a sign that we could be friends. I hope we could get along! Thank you.

Seokjin

Krista laughed at herself because she was guessing his nationality the whole time. Her first guess was Korean and the guess was actually correct. She sat comfortably on her seat and began eating the food her new neighbor made. Tasty, that's the first thing that comes in mind. She couldn't deny the fact that the sushi is delicious, flavorful, and tasty. It's like a five-course meal; but of course she's just exaggerating the way she describes the food. She realized she had thank the guy who sent her the basket, which she knew it can be reused, so she stood up from her seat and went out of her apartment room. The moment she went out of her room, she tried to find him; and by him all means Seokjin.

"Jin," she called his name through several breaths since she ran. Jin is his nickname, right? she asked herself, but as the man looked at her direction, she really knew it's Seokjin. She waved at him and tried to smile once she calmed down. Seokjin gave Krista a small grin and shyly waved back.

Does he talk?

"Hey there. I—uh... I want to thank you for the sushi you gave me," Krista spoke while scratching the nape of her neck. She's feeling nervous and she doesn't even know why. "Anyway, I really liked the food and it was tasty. Also, yes— we can be friends. Yeah, friends. Just knock on my door if you want to talk to me but I'm not always available so yeah. Oh, anyway, I'm sorry about earlier. About— um, slamming the door in front of you. I just panicked the moment you saw me without any clothes except for my towel. And, uh, I made you wait so I'm very sorry. It's such a shame on me. But I want thank you once again."

God, Krista hates it when she stutters. Obviously, she wasn't ready about what she's going to say to Seokjin. She felt awkward by stuttering and she despises that feeling.

"It's fine, I understand you. Thank you for your consideration; I appreciate it," Seokjin laughed as he replied, giving her a thumbs up. Krista felt soft the moment he smiled because she sensed his friendliness towards people.

"Oh—I'm Kristine Anne Roberts and you can simply call me Krista," Krista smiled warmly as she stretched out her arm to shake hands with him and he quickly held her hand back. The both of them shook hands and somehow, the both of them felt their soft hands.

"Anyway, I... I—um, I have to go now so see you whenever," she smiled weakly and pulled out her hand away from his hand. Krista heard him giggle softly and nodded, agreeing with her.

"Yeah," he responded quickly and looked at his basket, which was about to be given to other neighbors, "see you whenever."

[revised: 070917]