Chapter 20 - Albert Hates Birthday Secrets

- Chapter 20 - Part 1 -
Warnings: Secrets? But not the bad kind
Third Person POV

Race laid on his stomach, on his- nope- Albert's bunk.

Romeo walks into the room, shirtless.

Prove Boots' point much? Race thinks to himself.

"Romeo," Henry starts, looking up from the book he was reading on his bunk. "Why are you shirtless? It's like fifty degrees outside." He states.

Romeo shrugs. "It's hot inside the Lodge." He responds.

"We can thank Kloppman for that." Buttons tells him, leaning over the ledge of his bunk (he had a top bunk). "I don't know what we'd do without him."

"Freeze." Race answers.

"You'd know all about that, wouldn't you?" Buttons retaliates, shooting him a look.

Race rolls his eyes.

"Where's my boyfriend?" Romeo asks the three Newsies in the bunk room.

"Probably hanging with Lucky and Crutchie," Henry answers. "Or he's reading in silence with Davey." He states.

"If he's doing the latter," Buttons starts. "Don't bother them." He states.

Henry and Romeo look at him, confused. "What?" They ask.

"Specs and Davey have been teaching us." Race informs them, not looking up from his paper. "It means the second one." He informs them.

The two boys nod.

Romeo leaves the room.

"What are you doing, Racer?" Elmer appears next to Race.

Race screams, hiding his paper under the pillow.

"Oh thank God." Race exhales. "You aren't Albert." He mutters, slightly relieved.

Elmer chuckles. "Last time I checked, my hair wasn't red." He comments.

Race rolls his eyes. "Albert's birthday in coming up in a few weeks, so I asked Jack to help me draw something." He explains, pulling his paper out from under the pillow.

He shows Elmer the paper. "After he taught me how to hold the pencil, he gave me some pointers. Now, I'm trying to work on his present when he's not here." Race explains.

Elmer stares at the drawing. "Race," he starts. "That's really good!" He exclaims. "Especially for someone who just learned how to hold a pencil!"

Race looks from the drawing to him, warily. "Are you sure? It doesn't look good like Jack's do." He sighs, softly.

"Race," JoJo starts, appearing on the other side of Race.

Race screams. "Dear God, people!" He exclaims.

Elmer and JoJo laugh.

"Could you guys stop screaming?" Henry asks. "Some of us are trying to read." He states, acting like it was obvious and he shouldn't be telling them.