Chapter 27 - I Hate My Thoughts (Ft. Race)

- Chapter 27 - Part 1 -
Warnings: Stress, bad parents, abuse, crying
Third Person POV

Race sticks his hands in his pockets, kicking rocks with his feet.

He was well aware he was still in Brooklyn's mainland.

He was also well aware of the fact that Brooklyn Newsies/his boyfriends could see him if they wanted to.

It didn't change the fact that some quiet and alone time helped.

At least he wasn't thinking while surrounded by people.

Race sighs to himself.

He hated this.

He hated it so much that he could go and smack his father and tell him to leave him alone.

He couldn't.

He knew that.

He didn't want to see his father and he knew that he would freeze up if he did, and then something bad would happen.

It's how that always worked with his father.

Race sighs deeply.

He sits himself down, swinging his feet over the side of the bridge, and holding onto the bar that was in front of his lower chest/upper stomach.

The bar that kept him from falling off.

He leaned over it slightly, still holding onto the bar.

Race liked the water.

It was pretty, even when it wasn't calm like it was at the moment.

Race had always been told his eyes looked like the ocean, however he had never seen it before Jack and Crutchie took him to the Brooklyn bridge one day.

He had been out of his house, but never near the water.

His eyes were the first things everyone noticed about him.

Except Jack.

Jack noticed his injuries, the pain in his stance, before he looked at his eyes.

Behind the blue color, he saw fear and pain.

He saw a boy who had lost trust in most people and was broken by the world.

And he still took me in. Took me to be a Newsie.

And man was Race great full for that.

Race hated his father.

He hated the constant reminders of his father beating him because of the memories and the scars.

He hated the power his father had over him.

A memory flashed through Race's mind.

"Hey, hey," he heard the calm and soothing sound of his boyfriend. "What's up?" He asks.

Race shakes his head, sliding the shirt over his head. "Nothing. It's fine." He answers softly.