22

The award ceremony started. It slowly dawned upon me that the person Oikawa called "Baka" was Ushijima. There was definitely a rivalry happening.

As Oikawa's name was mentioned, I smiled and clapped. Ushijima wasn't bothered.

Oikawa was now giving a speech. Iwazuimi's eyes softened. Hinata was crying almost. I was certainly unaware of the journey these boys had. I hoped to know more if it was possible.

"Thank you. I guess this is something I've always wanted. Before, I always wanted to prove others wrong that I am just 'an average player". However, it dawned upon me just a few hours ago that I tried to prove my own insecurities right. Until someone said, someone else's victory doesn't reduce my own worth. For now, I will make sure to prove my insecurities wrong. And I hope it applies to everyone here. Every team played their best, and there's no doubt about it. Let it be known that someone's else victory does not reduce your hard work. I've faced the absolute best players this season, and in my past matches, I want to thank them too. Some of you pushed me to do better whenever I faced you all against the courts. Win or lose, this game will always carter diverse players with different play styles. I am proud to be a volleyball player and play with the best players since highschool....to now my Argentina's team. I am a setter because I believed in my team, and I won this award because each one of them believed in me. Thank you." Oikawa was saying, with little sobs.

Iwazuimi was wiping his soft tears secretly.

I smiled with little tears. I guess my words really worked on Oikawa.

Ushijima looked at me and kindly whispered, "You're kind...". I look down and whisper to him a thank you. He softly looked away, smiling, now smiling for Oikawa.

As different awards were received. I watched a few tables cheerings for their team members.

Lastly, Ushijima's award came. His name was announced; he stood up, gave my tiny hands a little squeeze before leaving the table to receive the award.

Ushijima got on the stage, I realised he wasn't a good speaker, but he surprised me.

"Thank you. I'll keep it short. I am not very good with words. But, I want to say I won't be here without my team. I didn't know what "trust" meant until I played with few people in my life and met others along the way in this journey. Many of us can agree we started this sport back in school. This award does not belong to me but to everyone who played beside me and against me. I want to thank everyone here and in my past. I also want to thank the people in your life who played with you all and supported all of your sportsmanship because I was honoured to play against all of you in this series. It's really an honour. The awards are just a reminder of when we held the volleyball and realised its the sport we will grow in. And thus, I want to thank my high school friends who supported my dream to be a volleyball player and my father, who introduced me to the sport. Thank you." Ushijima bowed.

I could see some people at the other tables were crying. Ushijima reminded them of their old days of volleyball.

Beside me, Yaku was shedding little tears, "Did he have to go all nostalgic...?"

"Damn it Wakatoshi and Tooru..." Iwazuimi hums

Miya, Aran and Rintaro were crying together. Bokuto wrapped his arms around Akashi and put his head on Akashi's shoulder. The room was nostalgic. Hinata and Kageyama were equally sobbing on their own terms.

For God's sake, even I was crying little.

The table got up and gave Ushijima applause. Even Oikawa stood up with Alisa and clapped.

No matter what Oikawa said, and no matter how Ushijima remained unbothered with Oikawa's remarks. Both respected each other. Today's evening was proof.

With that, Ushijima walked into the table. The tables kept clapping, and he bowed and thanked everyone.

The boys went to hug him and somewhere crying. The award ceremony ended, and the real party of music and dance started. People from different tables mixed.

Ushijima? He stayed beside me the entire time.

As others went on meeting other tables, Ushijima softly gave me the award.

"Thank you." He thanked me again.

"What for?" I ask softly

"That night, you made me realise again why I loved this sport." He says. I hum in confusion softly.

"Winning is more than just winning the game." He quoted me from the other night.

"It is..." I smile, placing my palms softly on his face.

He took my palm, dragged them to the side of his lips and kissed it softly.

"Congratulations, Wakatoshi," I said.

He nods.

"Before I leave, I want to remember this night with you, y/n" He spoke emotionally, remaining his stoic face.

"Same," I replied.

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

"You never met him after that? You never kept in touch?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"Girl wtf? What went wrong?" She asked.

"I don't know. We just both knew we met in the wrong place and at the wrong time. There wasn't much to be said." I replied. Marie signed.

"What happened that evening? Did something went wrong?" She asked.

I softly smiled and shook my head, "No, it was one of the most beautiful evenings I experienced..."

"Wow, what went wrong exactly? Tell me everything?" She enquired.

"Why?" I asked shyly.

"Clearly y/n you're still in love with that man. Its been 3 years, and you still talking about him." Marie mentions. I nod slightly. She was right.

And hence I narrated...