59. Freedom

June 6th, 1994
11:47 pm

Faint murmurs -- whispers -- and hushed voices flooded her mind. She wondered if it was the dementors, tourtuing her further, but when she opened her eyes it was to find she was very much alive -- and very much safe -- staring up at the sterile, familar darkened ceiling of the hospital wing.

Everything was blurry at first. The enormity of the previous nights events took a couple minutes to come back to her -- mind going over the details; how Peter got away, Remus transformed, Snape was disarmed. She remembered the coldness, and the sadness, that came with the swarm of dementors -- she remembered watching Hermione fall to the ground, and hearing Harry fail to cast the charm. She remembered running through the forest -- branches snapping beneath her, hiding from a werewolf -- hiding from Remus.

Lastly she remembered Sirius. Sirius. When she managed to jerk her head to the side, it was to see Harry in the adjacent bed; and Ron and Hermione across from them both. The alarm clock told her it was near to midnight -- still late. Not even twenty-four hours ago she had been in the Shack, dicussing with Sirius. Normally.

But Sirius wasn't here now.

She sat up at once. She was weak, it seemed, but she managed to pull herself up enough to shove a pillow behind herself and take in her surroundings. Cornelius Fudge and Snape in quiet dicussion by the door; Madam Pomfrey was tending to Harry, and Hermione sitting next to Ron's bed; hands in her lap, observing him.

They were safe.

But Sirius wasn't here.

'Ah, you're both awake!' Madam Pomfrey smiled, eyes glancing back and forth from Harry to Ophelia, as she broke apart two pieces of chooclate and gave one to each of them.

Ophelia inquired about Ron; whom she learnt would be just fine -- to her relief. She took a sip of a pain potion, and downed a couple squares of chocolate -- still feeling drained, though admittedly not as much, as Hermione came over to say hello to them both.

Harry on the other hand had sat up fully, threw his round glasses on and grabbed his wand from the table; attempting to stand, when she forced him back down. 'I need to speak to the headmaster.' He pleaded -- begged.

'It's important.' Ophelia stressed, as she too grabbed her wand to attempt to leave.

'My dears, there is nothing to worry about. They've got Black -- he's locked away upstairs -- they'll be performing the kiss any minute now--'

'WHAT?' They both exclaimed, at once, jumping out of their beds and Hermione out of her chair.

'You three are hardly in good condition to leave.' Fudge came over, robes strolling behind him, 'Let us adults take care of this. I know it's exciting-'

'EXCITING?' Ophelia gaped. 'He's innocent -- Minister -- you've got to believe us!'

Fudge shook his head, a smile tugging at his lips, 'You three are hardly in the right state of mind to speak properly. You are very confused -- having been through a large ordeal -- but I assure you, this is for the best.'

'Minister, we all saw it, it's true--'

'I told you they were confunded, Minister.' Snape shook his head, a quiet tut.

'WE WERE NOT CONFUNDED!' Ophelia roared, and Snape's eyes widened.

'Minister -- Professor Snape -- this is quite enough. I will not have you distressing my patients who are in need of critical care. I will have to ask you to leave now.'

'I'm not distressed!' Ophelia and Harry shot back, at once.

'We're telling the truth.' Hermione added, quietly.