83. Rejections

The beginning of December came quickly after the first task. Snow began to paint the grounds, and the Christmas decorations began to be brought out again. Ophelia loved this time of year. She was one of those people that was easily fascinated by the simplest of things; like sunsets, stars or how it looked like a snow globe outside when it morphed into winter. Ron said it was just weather, Hermione was too busy with homework to pay attention to how it looked outside, and Harry didn't have an opinion on the matter — but she thought it was brilliant.

"It's just so pretty!" She exasperated one day as they were walking down the brisk corridor to Transfiguration class.

"It's just snow." Ron offered.

"It's magical." Ophelia countered, "And we should go skating again one night this year."

December also brought the news about the Yule Ball, a longstanding tradition that came hand-in-hand with the Triwizard Tournament and acted as a socializing event for the three competing schools. The majority of people were excited. It meant securing a date, dressing up fancy and spending time with friends. But for Harry, who was a champion and was therefore given the job of starting the ball, and for those who didn't have dates — it was less desirable.

"You fought a dragon. You can slow dance for five minutes." She kept reminding Harry, who seemed timid at the prospect of this new requirement, as she munched on a piece of raspberry toast one morning.

"I have no idea what I'm going to wear." Lavender sighed from further down the Gryffindor table.

"You have tons of dresses, Lavender." Hermione reminded her, since it was true. Lavender's extensive wardrobe took up the better part of the right side of their dormitory, despite them wearing a uniform everyday.

"You'll look great in whatever you wear, Lav." Parvarti told her matter-of-factly.

"I don't think I even have a dress here." Ophelia said thoughtfully as she took a sip of her pumpkin juice, "I'll have to write home and get Dad to send one of mine."

"Who are you going with?" George asked from across the table.

Ophelia looked up, "Nobody. Well, I mean — I haven't been asked yet. Maybe I'll just go alone. Or with friends. I don't know." She fumbled, and Ginny just grinned, even though she didn't see it.

"Feminist move." Angelina said matter-of-factly from beside Fred, "Going alone. You don't need a boy to have fun."

Fred looked offended, and Angelina laughed at his shocked expression, "Don't worry, I'm still going with you, you git." She smiled, as she slapped his face playfully.

Fred smiled, satisfied, as he slung an arm around her shoulder slyly and began twirling around some of her braids.

"You've already asked her?" Ron gaped.

"We are dating." Fred said as if it was obvious, the two of them grinning.

"I'm sure you'll find somebody to go with, all of you." Angelina told them sweetly, as she got up and kissed Fred lightly on the cheek, "I have arithmancy, see you all later."

Shortly after Angelina's departure, the mail was delivered for the day. Ginny was delighted to find Mrs Weasley had sent her a green dress for the ball, and Seamus was excited when he opened a parcel to find crisp black dress robes. As for Ron, he was less than pleased when he got sight of what was inside his.