Chapter 37

Narrator's POV:

The moon was at its peak in the jet black night sky the wind was non-existent and the air had a bitter cold nip to it. Aurora stood at the top of the Astronomy tower looking over the lands below since the quidditch match three weeks had passed. In those three weeks, Draco had avoided Aurora at all costs determined to finish the task he was asked to do. He had to finish it or he would take action he would hurt his princess. His world. 

Suddenly, a zip of air behind her made her twist her body on the spot turning to face where the sound had come from only to find a weak Dumbledore clutching onto Harry. A gasp left her lips as Harry took Dumbledore to a bench she hurried to the man's aid asking numerous questions to which Harry replied that he had no time to answer. The pair agreed to put their differences aside to help the Professor both heading to the stairs to get Snape as directed by Dumbledore, but they halted in their tracks to a sound in the staircase below.

"Both of you go below now do not come out unless I instruct you to do so," Dumbledore instructed a soft yet directive tone with his non-wavering voice. 

Aurora's POV:

Harry nudged me slightly and I followed the stairs down to the room below the Astronomy tower, Harry stood next to me as we secured a spot both able to watch the situation from above. When I saw the familiar blond boy coming up the stairs wand drawn in the direction of Dumbledore my heart rate quickened and breathing halted, I felt Harry's gaze flick to watch me as I kept my eyes locked on Draco's. 

"Who else is here I heard you talking to someone?" Draco spat circling round so that he was face to face with Dumbledore.

"No one I often talk out loud to myself it's soothing...Draco you are no assasin,"

"How do you know what I am I've done things that would shock you... I was tasked I have to do this I have to kill you or he will kill her," His voice was small and shakey crumbling as he lifted his sleeve to reveal the dark mark and it all hit me at once I felt my lungs closing lack of air getting the better of my body. Harry's hand went to hold mine squeezing it reassuringly which I returned loosely dropping his hand after a moment.

"So you are doing this to protect Aurora? Let me help you he will not hurt her," But in an instant, numerous Death Eaters came up the stairs. Snape, Bellatrix, Greyback. Bellatrix's voice squeaked through the air urging Draco to do what he was tasked to do to kill Dumbledore. I could see Draco lowering his wand only slightly as Snape appeared from behind him causing him to move out of the way and in an instant...Dumbledore was dead. Snape killed him. 

Everything was happening so quickly the Death Eaters were running down the stairs and Harry was quick to follow intent on cornering Snape and I followed him intent on cornering Draco. I didn't know what my body was doing I was blindly following Harry chasing him through the corridors through the courtyard to the fields next to Hagrid's Hut. 

While Harry engaged in a duel to grab Snape's attention I ran after Draco launching spells in his direction to disarm him which I did after two failed attempts. Bellatrix was quick to go behind Draco offering her support but Draco encouraged her to leave finally facing me but not daring to look me in the eyes. My shakey hand clutched my wand tears brimming in my eyes as I looked up at the boy in front of me the boy who failed to look me in the eyes.

"Fucking look at me Draco!" I spat voice failing me as it broke mid-way through but he lifted his gaze relieving his grey eyes which showed so many emotions," I asked you so many times if you were one of them Draco w-why would you lie to me?!" Tears overflowed my eyes crashing down my cheeks relentlessly.

"I did it to protect you...h-he threatened to kill you if I didn't do as I was tasked and I could let that happen," He matched my expression tears flowing down his cheeks.

"I didn't just ask you once Draco I asked multiple times and you lied to me and I believed you I believed that you wouldn't lie to me so much so that I fought with my best friends all year round to defend you...N-not only that this entire year you've been fucking bipolar one minute I'm the best thing in the entire world the next I mean nothing to you and you won't speak to me for a week, and to really fucking top it all off I take some unknown curse for you and nearly died and where were you when I woke up?!" The trail of words left my lips like a curse venomous in their endeavor and I was breathless upon finishing.

"I LIED TO PROTECT YOU, I WAS BIPOLAR BECAUSE I KNEW I NEEDED TO BE AWAY FROM YOU TO PROTECT YOU BUT I WAS TOO SELFISH TO LET GO OF YOU BECAUSE I FUCKING LOVE YOU AURORA EVERY TIME I PUSHED YOU AWAY IT DROVE ME CRAZY AND I LEFT YOU WHEN YOU WOKE UP BECAUSE SNAPE TOLD ME THAT VOLDEMORT WAS GOING TO KILL YOU WITHIN THE WEEK IF I DIDN'T SHOW SOME SIGN OF PROMISE." My breath caught in my throat and my hand began to lower the tears never stopping flowing down my face.

"We were always on different sides of this war long before everything happened...we both knew that one day we'd be here, that one day we wouldn't be able to pretend that we lived in a fairytale where we were the only people that mattered, loving you this year has been a losing game yet I didn't give up but we can't do this anymore," My voice was small so small if the wind picked up I fear he wouldn't hear me but he did.

"Your right Aurora, you are an angel, and I'm the devil and we were never going to make it but I do love you...I-I'll always protect you,"

"I'm not some damsel in distress that needs saving...goodbye Draco," I turned on my heels terrified that my voice would fail me as I ran toward Harry who lay on the floor. We clutched each other in a tight embrace before making our way to the castle to be met with wands raised for Dumbledore. 

Everyone was told to pack their things that everyone needed to leave that night, I packed my things and as I walked into the common room I saw Fred and the numbness that I had felt since leaving Draco stayed but I took the hug that he gave me gratefully. Sighed in relief when he apparated us to the Burrow not missing his eyes looking at me praying that I would tell him what happened though I knew Harry had already.