Chapter Sixty Nine

A/N: I'm going to be honest and say that this is one of my favorite chapters I've written thus far in the story. I really hope you guys enjoy it! And thank you so much for all the support you're giving me. It means more than you'll ever know.

"Are you going to stand there or are you going to come in?" Steve asked.

Catherine would never lie. It was strange seeing Steve aged. She always knew him as young Steve Rogers. She walked into the apartment, still feeling incredibly awkward. It almost felt like she didn't even know him. The apartment was small and reminded her of the one he had when he first came out of the ice.

"Can I get you anything? Water? Tea?" He asked.

She shook her head and motioned for him to sit on the couch. She used to be so comfortable around him, hell she slept with the guy on multiple occasions. Now she found herself stiff as a board, unable to find a way to converse with him. It was strange.

"You look nice. Special occasion?" He asked.

"Your memorial service actually, at the Smithsonian. Where Sam handed the shield off to the US government." She told him.

Steve shifted uncomfortably in the chair and nodded his head. "He's lost."

"He's lost? That's all you can say?" She asked. This wasn't the same Steve Rogers see knew for years. This was someone entirely different and it hurt her. She wanted Steve to be happy, she really did, but Peggy had moved on and he went back and wrecked it.

"He needs help, support from Bucky and you. Your father helped me. Peggy did. Bucky did. I had a whole team helping me. Sam needs it too." Steve explained.

"I've been slightly preoccupied with building my family Steve. And so has Sam and so has the rest of the world. The world is...in ruins. Chaos. Some days I feel like we did more harm than good by bringing everyone back." Catherine admitted.

"It'll take time to rebuild. It took us five years Catherine. It's only been six months."

"We destroyed countries, alliances by bringing people back though. Wanda literally kidnapped a whole town. They blame us, but you aren't the one they're taking it out on. I've had to fight like hell to keep the Avengers out of prison while you're in seclusion. Why did you have to leave Steve? Why? You couldn't have found someone here to love? We could really use you right now."

Steve was quiet and then an almost smug smile appeared on her face. She had no idea how capable she was. She had no idea how strong she was. "Look at how far you've come Cat. It hasn't been easy and it'll continue not to be easy, but you're prevailing. I did...find someone to love, but she was married to my best friend."

Angry tears were threatening to spill from her eyes as he spoke. Steve had seen her cry many times, but she would not let him see her cry this time. He would no longer have the ability to get to her.

"I was going to marry you Catherine. I had already asked for Tony's permission. But then Bucky came back and I knew it was time to go. You were the only person I loved just as much as Peggy."

"Stop!" Catherine yelled. No. She wouldn't listen to his sob story. She wouldn't be blamed for Steve leaving. It was his choice. She stood from the couch, turning around so she didn't have to look at him. "I need to go."

She walked to the door, opening it with a shaky hand. "Just give it time." Steve told her before she left. In that moment, she promised she would never see him again. That was the last time Steve Rogers would ever make her cry.

Catherine drove home in silence. Her mind was racing. Everything felt like it was crumbling around her, but she had to remain strong. For her husband and for her son.