Chapter 22

One of the papers said something creepy. It was entirely creepy. There were drawings on the back. She drew a Fear and him on the back. They were drawn with charcoal. They were smudged, so I didn't try to touch them. The entire top part of the paper was the face of a Fear. On the bottom of the paper was a drawing of his face. On the other side of the paper was Shannon writing for me to be careful. She must have been completely insane when she wrote this because this is crazy. She wrote,

'Brian you must go! You have to go now! Save YouRSelf! He and Fear are going to attack! They will do whatever it takes to kill you! He and Fear will not stop! NEveR! He's WATCHING ME! They are outside my window!! Read the bold! I don't want to die! Brian if you are reading this, you must leave. If you really are reading this, I am dead. I did it for the greater good. -Shannon'

Her handwriting was so scribbled that I had to reread some of the words over five times. I felt bad. She knew she was going to die. She was crazy and there was nothing I could do to help her. I mean, just look at everything she wrote. I stared at the paper.

After looking at the paper for a while I noticed that she was telling me to leave and that they are coming. It was written in thicker letters. I can't believe he was watching her. She had always seemed pretty normal to me. Well she wasn't normal. No one actually is normal, I mean look at my life. My life just feels like some type of sick joke. I mean, my father dies, I have to move into a completely different home, one of my only friends die. What's next?

"I can't live a normal life." I whispered. But just after that I heard something. I didn't know what it was but when I stood up from where I was and looked around. Nothing moved in my room but, I know it didn't come from down stairs. After standing there in my room and deciding whether or not to walk out of my room, I finally went into the hallway. I took a deep breath knowing this wasn't a good idea.

Thud. That sound, it happened again. It was louder this time. I slowly opened all of the doors one by one to try and help me figure out which room it was coming from.

Thud. I jumped. Now, it was extremely loud. After thinking about the sound, I looked up. "It... It came from the... Attic." I stuttered. When I turned around to walk down the hall, my mom was at the end of it.

"What came from the attic?" She asked with confusion.

"I heard something but, it might just be a rat or squirrel." I responded trying to make it sound like it was nothing. She walked into her room and said she was going to take a nap.

I tip-toed into every room to see if there was a door to the attic on the ceiling like Veronica did in her closet. After I checked the room, I closed the door to make sure my mom wouldn't yell at me for leaving them open.

I finally found the room that had the door. The room was just a random extra room. I grabbed one of the foldable chairs from the corner. I began to climb on the chair as the metals created a high pitched sound. As I tried and tried again to open the damned door, no progress was made. I hate this, I thought over and over for minutes until it happened again.

Thud. Something was different about the sound this time. It wasn't as heavy as it was before. To think about it, the other two weren't the same either. There is no way that a rat or squirrel could be pushing a box like that. I'll never open this damn door, was the horrible thing racing through my mind.

Creak. I saw darkness creeping through the small opening of the door. I pulled down the door and there were pull-down stairs. I shook my head knowing that this was going to be loud. I slowly pulled down the stairs one set at a time. It was pretty loud but I don't think it woke my mom. My mom had been very stressed out lately. I stood at the bottom of the stairs and looked up at the pitch black darkness in my ceiling. I began to climb the stairs, not ready for what was up there.