Chapter 3

19th May 2019

RENEE

"So, I'm a Spirit now..." I told myself aloud, hoping that it sounded believable.

"Yes, you are!" The Spirit guy affirmed.

"And I can't go back inside," I added sadly, watching my battered body hidden by the doctors crowding around. I didn't think I was ready to leave my human life yet.

"No, Renee," He said seriously, dropping his happy tone. "Besides, even if you do, your soul is being monitored right now. It's against the law to remain in this realm unless you want to be a ghost."

"Well then, that's just great." I sighed, feeling myself deflate with the thought that I was stuck as a spirit forever.

"Hey, being a spirit isn't so bad. You'll relive all the human experiences in a much better world." He told me in an attempt to cheer me up.

"And why is that so?" I asked sourly, as the nurse began to inject me with medicines.

"Because Spirits don't care about worldly stuff. We only want to reach the White Realm." He said in a monotone voice, as though he was repeating what he'd heard multiple times.

"The White Realm?"

"Yup. It where you gain the ultimate knowledge about life and death. Your mind reaches the tenth dimension." He explained, as though I understood his gibberish.

"It makes sense now," I told him, my voice heavy with sarcasm, to which he rolled his eyes.

"You'll be leading a simple, calm and peaceful life of meditation and self-discovery. It's extremely satisfying." He said as a matter of fact, though he did avoid my eyes.

If I was going to spend my Spirit life in meditation, then my human life seemed a hundred times better.

"I guess so," I shrugged, and my eyes widen at the huge syringe that the nurse put onto my arm.
Ouch.

If I woke back up in my body, I'd have to go through all that pain.

Maybe I was better off without a human body.

"Okay, you're gonna have to answer some questions," He said as he pulls out the form from his pocket.

Seeing the form triggered a panic mode in me that I didn't see coming. My heart beat faster as he picked up his pen, and clicked it into place, the tip hovering over the blank space on the paper.

"So, are you ready?" He asked, unaware of my panic mode.

"No," I let out, watching a look of shock travel across his face. My hands shook violently, as I gasped for air, trying to calm myself down.

I didn't want to officially be declared as a spirit so soon.

I didn't even get enough time to mourn my death.

This was all happening way too fast.

To my greatest astonishment, he shoved the form back inside his pocket and turned to me with a smile.

"Okay Renee, we don't need to do this," He said calmly, squeezing my hand. "Only when you're ready."

I heaved a sigh of relief, as he pulled out his phone. I watched him scroll through it when his eyes suddenly widened.

"What the freaking hell! This is insane-"

"What's wrong?" I asked, and he threw me a look of panic.

"Was your dog next to you when you died?" He demanded, his voice uneven.

"Ye-"

"I knew it! Knew that I'd never progressed enough to collect a human soul as intricate as yours... All I'm made for are dogs, cats, old ladies... Argh, this is unbelievable-"