Chapter 15

30th May 2019

RENEE

"Lord Augustus?" I asked, as I glanced at Noah, who looked livid.

His entire face had transformed, the cheerful facade he put up was no longer there. His mouth was set in a straight line, his eyes reflecting the fire that seemed to dance within him. He looked older, more serious, as though his pain had aged him by a few years.

Then Noah snapped out of it, giving me a tired yet casual grin. "I don't want to talk about him, Renee. I promise to tell you the story someday, but not now, not when we have better things to do..."

I dropped the topic and returned his grin. "Do we have better things to do?"

"Yeah, we do!" Noah replied with a little extra enthusiasm. "Let's go for a walk."

He offered his hand, and I got up reluctantly, being my usual lazy self. Once the cool air hit my face, I started to think that the walk wasn't such a bad idea after all. For one thing, Noah was still holding my hand, his fingers laced with mine.

Forty-five minutes later, we were walking under the starry sky, and Noah was complaining about how parties weren't a thing in the Spirit Realm.

"I miss the fun, the loud music, the overall excitement," Noah sighed, as I heard the low buzz of the insects in the background.

"Well, I'm personally not a fan of such stuff, so it's fine for me," I said, and saw his jaw drop.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow. "I did see an empty void of desire in you."

"What's that got to do with anything?" I asked him like I wasn't affected by his question.

"What's that got to do with anything?" Noah laughed incredulously. "It has everything to do with your desires, Renee. Love, Power and Lust..." He trailed off, giving me a meaningful look.

"Alright." I huffed, "Maybe I do like someone. There you go, my big secrets out."
My lower lip quivered nervously as his gaze fell on me.

"Not quite." He said, a smirk playing about his lips. "Who do you like?"

"Do you always need to know everything?" I said, mimicking his voice.

"Haha, don't try to be too smart, Renee," Noah wiggled his eyebrows. "I could just look into your mind and find out who that is..."

"Oh, can you?" I turned towards him defiantly. "Do it then."

Somehow, I had a feeling that Noah wouldn't do it. He was curious, but he wouldn't go to the extent of invading my thoughts.

Would he?

Noah raised his eyebrows. "Are you sure? Don't mind me invading your privacy?"

"I'm one hundred per cent sure," I said confidently, and for some reason, his expression changed, as he turned away.

"What's wrong?" I teased. "Are you afraid of what you'll find?"

Noah looked at me, his face placid. "No. But this is exactly what the ISA does, and I don't want you to experience even a tiny bit of it."

See, I was right. Noah wouldn't do it. I grinned at him, slightly surprised that I'd guessed what he'd do.

"Why are you smiling?" He asked.

"Nothing," I replied, my grin widening.

"Keep your secrets then." Noah scoffed, then playfully waves a finger at me. "But just remember, I have the power to get into your mind and learn every little thing."