Chapter 43

3rd August 2019

RENEE

As our bubble landed on the frosty ground, Shay stood there, her pale blond hair fluttering like a flag in the wind. She was dressed in flowy white robes, and I realised that she was in her higher form as a Spirit Guide.

She threw a sceptical look at the Portal Bubble where Mike and his gang tumbled out. Opening her mouth and closing it quickly, she swallowed her usual sarcastic insult like a bitter pill.

"Hey, you guys," She tried to sound cheerful. "Renee, I thought it was going to be just you and Clover."

My reply was cut off by Mike and his friends loudly laughing at what was probably the lamest joke in the world.

I glanced back at Shay who looked exasperated, if not slightly pained.

"These people were trapped by Sir Johannes, and I just rescued them. They're going to be here until they find a way to get back into their bodies." I explained.

"Sir Johannes?" Shay nearly gasped. "These people worked with him?"

"No, they were possessed by him. He wanted to destroy our souls, but we managed to escape before that."

Shay still looked frightened, but she didn't say anything. She snapped her fingers and two Spirits appeared, looking expectantly at Shay.

"Renee, this is Matt and Kyle. They will guide your friends to a safe place," She explained, before turning to them. "The Apartment, you guys."

"Okay, Shay," They replied in a sing-song voice, probably mocking her.

Shay rolled her eyes, but she looked visibly relaxed around them. I could see why these guys seemed as chill as Noah did.

"Where are we going?" I asked Shay, as Matt and Kyle introduced themselves to the LOLtube gang.

"To see Noah," She replied, just gesturing me to follow her. I waved goodbye to Clover who looked slightly suspicious to see Shay with me but shrugged it off anyway.

"Noah told me what happened," Shay said after a while, as we trudged down a narrow path. "He's been crying for hours."

My heart constricted at her words and I stayed silent, not knowing what to say.

"What Noah did was wrong, he shouldn't have confessed right when you were trying to reach the White Realm," She spoke softly, a contrast to her usual harsh tone. "But, trust me, he meant every bit of it. He has fallen too hard for you."

I just walked behind her, choosing not to answer.

I always thought that what I felt for Noah wasn't love, but rather just teenage infatuation. I never felt as though I'd grown enough to experience love, and even two days ago when Noah told me the words, I wasn't ready to tell it back.

My transformation was the first thing that made me realise that maybe my feelings ran deeper than what I thought. And as I travelled solo for sixteen hours straight, every little thought reminded me of him.

It was as though I'd made my world revolve around him.

It scared me, honestly, because I used to be so sure that I wouldn't get sucked into a serious relationship like that. I was Renee Durvont, and I thought I would spend the rest of my life with my mechanical cats.

Then Noah came into my life and changed everything for the better.

Shay led me into a cave-like enclosure, possibly the slimy cave Noah had been complaining about. We entered a clearing and I saw Noah in a Portal Bubble, sleeping peacefully.