Chapter 40

(Warning: Some parts have mentions of abuse and self-harm, so please read at your own risk!!!)

2nd August 2019

RENEE

I was in the headquarters of ISA, watching the two Spirits in a conversation.

Sir Claudius paced anxiously around his office. Shay observed him, her arms crossed, her eyes sharp, as she waited for his answer.

"You are demanding a lot from me, Spirit Guide Shay Williams," Claudius spoke telepathically.

"It is simply a matter of your choice, Higher Spirit, Sir Claudius," She replied, with the air of a negotiator.

I'd never seen this side of Shay. She wasn't drunk and angry, but rather reasonable and business-like, which is why Claudius found himself considering her proposal.

To join the Astrascends. A group that would aim at liberating a large number of Spirits from the ISA.

"You know about the ISA more than anyone, Sir Claudius," Shay said. "Another hundred years of service, and even then would they never divulge the secret of reaching the White Realm."

Sir Claudius stopped pacing, now watching Shay carefully.

He had two choices ahead of him.

To either lick the shoes of Lord Augustus or become Lord Claudius himself.

This wasn't the first time Shay had informed him of the plan. He had been thinking about this for the past one month, and while he wanted to join, he was afraid of the consequences.

Consequences that wouldn't even matter when he'd reached the White Realm?

The ISA would see him as a criminal.

The ISA were the real criminals. The ones who had punished innocent Noah for no real reason.

Claudius paused, thinking about Spirit Guide Noah Stark. How he was on the run for ascending to the ninth dimension.

It was finally time to stand against the ISA who had bullied him and countless others for years.

To show them that he wouldn't turn a blind eye to this system of injustice anymore.

Trusting him to take the right decision, I watched him anxiously, before his cloudy face broke into the smallest of smiles.

"I will join the Astrascends," He answered.

Then the scene disappeared, leaving me no time to analyse what Shay was up to.

***

Broken, dilapidated houses stood before me, and my eyes fell to the floor, with deep red stains that could be blood.

Blood that belonged to a wounded puppy, who was chained to the metal gate, howling and begging to be released from this torture.

"Stupid dog," Yelled a harsh voice. "I can't even sleep with all that noisy barking."

The puppy was oblivious to the sounds, still struggled against the chains, the wounds fresh from recent abuse. This made the owner throw another stone, one that hit the metal gate, before falling on the puppy's tiny head.

I knew that I couldn't change the thoughts of the abusive owner this time. The puppy was the only living thing in my line of vision, and I didn't see a way out of this.

Unless there was a way to release her.

I walked up to the puppy, and found her staring at me, her bright eyes carrying a familiar warmth. I'd often heard stories that animals could see beyond the physical reality, and I found it is proved for the very first time.