Chapter 26

21st June 2019

RENEE

The next day, I met up with Clover at school and told her all about Telepathy. Needless to say that she was as excited as I was.

"So, you can talk to him? Like right now?" Clover asked excitedly, staring at my head as if a mini Noah was hovering near it.

"Yes, Cloves! I can!" I said, my cheeks aching from my wide grin. People shot us strange looks as we walked up the steps to school, but we didn't care, mostly because we were so thrilled.

"Can he hear your thoughts?" Clover asked. "Read your whole mind?"

"Haha, no," I told her. "I need to think about him, before talking to him. It's like catching onto a train of thought, and he's at the other end."

"Hi, Noah!" Clover waved at my head, and I laughed at her, thinking about how crazy she looked.

"He can't hear you, but I'll pass on the message," I chuckled, before focusing on Noah.

"Hey, you!" I told him.

"You? Don't tell me that's my new nickname!" He complained.

"It might just be," I giggled, and I noticed Clover watching my face intently. "Also, Clover says hi!"

"Clover? Your pretty best friend?" Noah asked playfully. "Tell her that I said hi too!"

"He says hi," I told Clover quickly, before moving back to Noah.

"What do you mean pretty best friend?" I asked him.

"Why, are you jealous that I called her pretty?" He shot back.

"Jealous? Why would I be jealous?" I scoffed. "And just so you know, she's already taken, so stop hitting on her."

"She's taken?" Noah sounded stunned.

"Yeah, she's dating Mike," I answered.

"Beautiful Clover and your weird brother? No way!" Noah exclaimed.

"For the last time, Noah, Cloves can't hear your flattery," I rolled my eyes.

"She can't, but you can," Noah replied immediately.

"And why does it matter if I can?" I asked.

"You don't know? I'm being so obvious and you don't know??"

"...Maybe I want to hear it from you..."

It was a tense little second as I waited for his answer, chewing on my lower lip. Then Noah bailed out on me.

"Renee, I've gotta go, okay? Claudius wants to see me right now..." I could hear the immediate change in his voice, he sounded urgent.

"Noah, but-"

"Bye, babe," Noah whispered.

And with that, he disappeared, leaving me red-faced and tongue-tied, and Clover grinned at me like she knew exactly what was going on.

*****

27th June 2019

"MIKE HAS PINK HAIR!!!" Clover barged into my room, screaming at the top of her lungs.

"What?!" I asked, nearly falling off my chair. "What do you mean pink hair?"

"He has neon pink hair!" Clover yelled again, without bothering to explain the context to me. "It's raging all over the internet!"