Chapter 37

31st July 2019

RENEE

"A science camp?" Mom repeated blankly, exchanging a look with dad. "Now?"

"Mom, I know that Mike's in the hospital, but I've wanted to go here for my whole life," I pleaded, showing her the brochure that I'd downloaded from the Internet.

Somehow Dad totally loved the idea of sending me away with Phyllis, and he ignored all my warnings about how Phyllis could be dangerous. Finally, this ended up being my best choice, either hiding with Phyllis or nothing, and I was forced into the former.

And yet, mom wouldn't believe us. This is why we made up the story about me attending a science camp, and Phyllis receiving a fake message that her turtle had died. Both of us needed to disappear, and this was the best we could come up with.

"Ed, what do you think?" Mom looked doubtfully at dad. They had a long talk this afternoon, and they seemed to have temporarily sorted out their issues.

"It will look good on her college applications," Dad muttered, as he looked at Phyllis sitting on the opposite side and listening to every word of our conversation.

"Mom, it's not easy to get accepted into something like this," I told her again. "It's like a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"I understand Renee, but can't you join later? Mike is still unconscious, and I'm not comfortable with the idea of you going away." Mom said worriedly, wringing her hands.

"It starts tomorrow in the night, mom," I answered. "I really need to leave tonight."

"But what about Clover? She would never leave your side if you were in the ICU right now," Mom countered.

"Clover knows how important this is to me," I said. "Besides, I'm sure that she'll be fine."

To this, Mrs Hayes sniffled loudly and dabbed at her cheeks. "Renee, I'm with your mom on this one," She spoke up, "Clover has always been a loyal friend to you. And you want to leave her at a time like this?"

Her words hurt me because it was the exact opposite of what I was doing. I was risking my life and safety for Clover, and yet I couldn't tell them that.

Then I said something much worse than what they were assuming.

"Clover isn't my friend anymore," I let out, the words stinging my heart. "She always talks about Mike, and it's so annoying... It's like I don't even exist."

Mom stared at me in shock, while Mrs Hayes looked like I'd slapped her.

On the other hand, dad looked surprised, before giving me a slow smile, and Phyllis actually began to clap.

"I knew it, the cards never lie," She gave us her typical toothless grin.

"Mom, behave yourself," Mrs Hayes hissed under her breath, sending me a glare.

"As if you aren't busy with your boyfriend," Mom shot back.

"Mom, what are you even saying?" I asked, exasperated.

"Do you think I'm blind? All the late-night giggling and blushing, do you really think I don't know what you've been doing?" Mom complained.

"What?" I gasped. "What in the world-"

"Oh, don't you dare use that tone with me, young lady, I gave you a chance to explain yourself this morning. And you still chose to lie to me," She spoke rapidly over me.

"Mom, what do you mean?" I gaped at her.

"I heard you talking. And when I entered, I found that helmet glowing on your head. And you kept saying his name, Noah. I don't even know how but you've invented yourself a boyfriend!!"