CHAPTER NINE

Time was flying. I'd spend the day with Matt and at night I spent them with Tom. He would come over almost every night.

I felt myself getting closer to Tom as much as I was with Matt. Matt was the fun to hang out with guy. We played video games and watched movies. Tom was the funny guy, that just likes to hang out and joke about things. He has even helped me with my homework.

I was sitting on a bench at the park waiting for Matt. He had text me saying he needed to talk to me. I was with Tom, but I didn't want to be there with Matt.

"Annie," I turned and Matt was walking towards me, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to keep you waiting. There was so much traffic on the way." He pulled me into a hug then pressed his lips to mine.

"Don't worry about it."

We sat on the bench and I hugged his arm, it was the middle of October, it's cold.

"I feel really bad that I didn't tell you before. There's no other way to say it, so I'm just gonna say it. I'm flying back on Sunday morning."

"So soon?" Was all I could get out. I didn't know what to say.

"I know, but we'll keep contact and I'll be back before you know it. It will be as if I was never gone." He took my hand.

"Sunday? That's only a few days away." I was surprised we've been dating for only a month or so and now he's leaving for who knows how long.

"I know, I'm sorry, I should have told you sooner. I feel like such a jerk, I didn't tell you and I just throw it on you. These next few days let's just hang out and not worry about me leaving. Is that OK?"

"Sure." I was still shocked to hear this.

"I know it's a school night, but we don't have time to waste, would you like to go bowling? Get some friends together and have some fun." He had a hopeful look.

"Yeah, I think I can put some friends together."

He stood and pulled me along with him, "C'mon, we should get going before it gets too late."

I put my arm around his waist, rested my head on his shoulder and started walking. We walked into M and M and it was a bit busy. There were a few people hanging out.

"What's up guys?" Noah said as he stocked the shelves.

Matt went to look around and I walked over to Noah, "Hey." I stood beside him, "Is Tom around?" I asked as I searched the room hoping I'd see him somewhere.

"Yeah, he's in the storage room." He continued with the shelves.

"He's not with someone, is he?" I asked before I walked towards the door.

"No."

I walked into storage and it was a big room, about half the size of the actual store. "Tom?" I called out. It would be impossible to find him in this room without calling his name. I walked around some boxes, "Thomas? Thomas Cat?" I continued down an aisle, I looked to the sides and he wasn't there. "Tom?"

I turned to walk back, "BOO!" he yelled.

I jumped a foot in the air and screamed, "AAAAAHHHHHH!!" His laughter echoed in the room. I covered my face as I felt tears forming, "You're such an asshole. I hate you." I smacked him and pushed him to the side and I started walking.

"I'm sorry." He caught up to me and wrapped his arms around me, "I had to do it. It was perfect timing." He continued laughing, "I'm sorry."

"Are you OK?" Matt asked.

I quickly pulled away, "I'm fine. Tom's just a jerk and scared me, but I'm OK."

He stared at us for a second, "OK." Then he was gone.