CHAPTER FIVE

I had gotten home from work-a summer job at a local book store-and was going to ask Temperance if she wanted to go out and get something to eat. I walked down the hall to Temperance's room, I wasn't sure if she was home, she would be out with a friend I thought. I opened the door and regretted it as soon as I did. I stood there shocked, my sister was laying naked next to Mike. Turning to leave, I felt the first tear of the night fall down my face.

"Annie, wait!" Temperance yelled, running after me.

So she wouldn't stop me, I ran out the door, where I knew she couldn't catch me.

My alarm rang and my eyes opened. I turned off my alarm and sat up in my bed. I got ready for school and walked out the door.

When school was over I started walking, heading in no specific direction. I stopped and noticed I was standing in front of M and M. I walked in and sat at one of the tables. As I pulled out my binder I saw the chair next to me move. Noah sat down next to me.

"Hi, there stranger." he said.

"Hi." I said, looking at him closely for the first time. "Hey, I was wondering if you guys got the new Paramore CD." I asked.

"You know what? It just got here this morning." he said getting up and walking to a stand, "Is this what you're looking for?"

"Yes. That is it." I took it from him looked at it.

He looked over to the register and saw that there was people waiting. "Could you excuse me for a second?" He walked to the register and helped the customers.

I looked up and saw a girl walk out a door that had a sign that said 'Keep Out'. Then I remembered that that was the door to Tom's place. Seconds later after the girl walked out I saw Tom walk out, fixing his pants. It hurt me a little to see that. I looked back down at the CD in my hands. I was reading the song titles when something warm and big hit me. A strong hand grabbed me by the arm before I could fall.

"I'm sorry." I heard a deep voice say, "I wasn't looking where I was going."

I looked up to see the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen, they were light blue with a little green in them, almost aqua. "It...Its OK." I stuttered. I hadn't realized, but my arm was hurting from his strong grip. I looked down at his hand, he looked too and let go of me.

"Sorry." he said and walked to the register.

I walked back to the table and sat down. I began writing a paper for English. I was taking out a pencil when I heard the same deep voice behind me, "Excuse me?"

I turned and there he was, the guy that almost dropped me. "Yes?"

He hesitated, "I know we just bumped into each other, but...C-Can I get your number?" he stuttered. "I'm Matt, by the way." He stretched out his hand and I took it.

"Annie." I said, shaking his hand, but he wasn't letting go.

"Is that a yes then?" he asked, still holding on to my hand.

I looked up to him, "Um...Yeah, sure." We exchanged numbers and as soon as I was putting my phone away, it started ringing. "Are you-?"

"I was just making sure you didn't give me a false number." a smile spread across his face when he saw that it was my number. "I gotta go, but I'll see you soon?"

I nodded and he turned and walked out the door. As I turned back to my paper I heard Noah laughing, "Oh, shit, Annie has gotten herself a date." He continued laughing,

Tom stood next to Noah and just stared at me. No expression on his face.

When I finished writing my essay, I put my things away and walked up to the register. "Did you find everything ok?" Noah asked, trying hard not to laugh.