CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Time was passing by fast. It had already been about a month since, well, since the shooting, I guess I should say. Tom was healing quickly. Quicker than I thought. He still couldn't do much, but he could do a lot more than before.

A week after I had visited the police station. I called Weston saying, 'sure I would like to hang out sometime.' I didn't see any harm in talking to him. I needed to talk to other people other than Tom.

We had arranged to hang out tonight at a café. I hadn't told Tom about the person I had recently started talking to and I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that today. The thing is, is that if I tell Tom he will probably over react.

I decided I wouldn't tell him tonight. I didn't want to lie to him, but it'll only be once. All I needed was a story and one where I wouldn't be lying to him.

"Tom?" I said as I walked into the living room. "I'm going out for a little while, but I'll be back."

"Ok. Where are you going?" he asked.

Damn it! He had to ask. "I'm going out with my mom." I lied. I felt bad lying to him, but I was going to tell him the truth, someday.

Tom stood from the couch and stood before me, "Have fun." He said then pressed his lips to mine. "Hurry back. I'll be waiting." He whispered in my ear.

I kissed him again then walked out the door. I walked around the building toward the front where Weston was waiting for me in a silver Chevy Malibu. As I stepped into the car, it didn't feel right. It felt like I was cheating on Tom. I kind of was. I was seeing another guy behind his back. But it wasn't as if I was sleeping with him or anything. We were just going to hang out.

"Hey." Weston said as I got comfortable.

"Hey." I replied. I looked over at him and he was smiling. It was a scary looking type of smile. As if was going to do something. "So, what should I call you?" I asked as we started driving. "Should I call you Weston, or Officer Weston?"

He chuckled, "James."

"James? I'll try to remember that." I joked.

We arrived at the cafe and ordered some coffee. When we got there every person working there greeted him, making me think that he comes here often. We sat at a table and waited for our coffees.

We talked and talked about each other. "So, are you single?" I asked. "You're not married are you? I don't want to be accused of being the other woman."

"No, I just got out of a two year relationship."

"I'm sorry." I replied.

"It's fine. It wasn't working out anymore. We lost the spark we had when we met." James took a sip of his coffee. "So, does...Tom? Know you're out with me?" he asked.

"Um...no. I told him I was going out with my mom." I said.

James smiled, "This is interesting. So, we're out in secret? I like it; it makes me feel like the other man."

I laughed, "You wish. Just so we're clear, this isn't a date. This is just a friendly...get together."

"I know. Ok, I've gotta ask. How old are you?" James asked.

"Does it matter? It's not like we're dating." I replied.

"I know, but I'm just curious."

"You're a cop. I thought you would have figured it out." I said. James stared at me as if waiting for an answer. "I'll tell you if you tell me your age first."

"I asked first." James responded. I stayed quiet waiting for him to tell me his age. "I am...twenty...five." He said. I knew it, I guessed right. "So, how old are you?"