CHAPTER NINETEEN

Tom and I had returned to the real world, but I felt a whole lot better returning. We started the New Year together and happy. There was nothing in the world that could take our happiness away.

“So,” Tom started, “when do you want to bring some things over?”

“Before I answer,” I said, “are you sure this is what you want?”

He smiled, “Yes, of course.”

“Are you absolutely positive? That means I’m going to be around a lot more than I already am.”

“Yes, I’m sure.” He looked at me in a suspicious way, “Do you not want to? Are you changing your mind? If you’re uncomfortable with this-”

“No,” I interrupted, “all I’m saying is I’m going to be invading your space. Are you ready to give up your privacy? Your personal space?”

He half smiled, “I already gave up my privacy and personal space about two months ago and more officially a week and a half ago.”

“So, you’re sure?” I asked.

“Yes, are you sure? I don’t want you to feel pressured.” He said.

“Yeah, I’m sure.”

“Good because I already made some space for you. It would have sucked if you changed your mind.” Tom said. “Whenever you’re ready.”

“Ok, I’ll some things together tonight and we can bring them over tomorrow.” I said.

Tom’s smile was big, bigger than when I told him he was my choice, “Ok, tomorrow it is.”

Tom stood from the table and walked over to the register. It was strange now, Noah wasn’t around anymore. The day we came back from our trip was his last day. Tom had begged Noah to stay longer because Tom didn’t trust the two new guys to be alone. Not only did Tom not trust them, but the guys had only worked here for a couple of days and they wouldn’t be able to handle it alone.

We came back and Noah was gone. Tom talked to his father and was able to get Noah a job in his company. It will probably be different not having Noah around. Tom will have to go back to working and I probably won’t see him as much.

Tom walked in my direction with paper towels and what looked like Windex, I’m guessing for the glass tables. He smiled a little as he got closer to me, “Hey, sorry to keep you waiting, but as soon as we finish cleaning I’ll take you home, ok?” he said.

“It’s fine. I don’t mind. You don’t need to hurry.” I smiled at him. He leaned down and kissed me. “Ok, maybe rush a little, so we can leave sooner.” He chuckled and kissed me again. “You know what? I’ll help you. You’ll be done faster.” I took the Windex and paper towels from him and started cleaning tables.

While I cleaned tables, Ron-one of the new guys-vacuumed, Sean-the other new guy-filled shelves, and Tom was counting the money. With each one of us doing something we finished in about fifteen or twenty minutes.

“Alright, guys, we are done.” Tom said. We all walked to the door and I stood beside Tom as he locked the door, “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” Tom turned to me and took my hand, “Let’s get you home.” He kissed my head and started walking to his car. “I am so excited!” Tom said as we walked through the door of my house. “I know you’re not really moving in, I mean you are, but not completely. It’s still exciting.”

“You sound like a little kid in Disneyland. You’re a little too excited.” I said as I walked into my room. It felt strange being in there, it had been so long since the last time I was in there.