CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"Annie?" I heard my name being called out by a voice that I knew very well. "Annie, wake up." The voice whispered. I felt a hand on my shoulder, "Annie, I packed for us. Come on, let's go."

I opened my eyes and saw Tom sitting beside me. I smiled at him as I sat up. "Why are we leaving so early?" I asked.

Tom smiled a little, "It's not early. It's almost noon." He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "I'm gonna put our bags in the car. Get ready." He stood from the bed, picked up the bags that were by the door and left.

I got up from the bed and went to the bathroom. When I walked back into the bedroom, I saw Tom sitting on the bed. He watched me while I got dressed. I glimpsed at him and it seemed like he was lost in thought.

"What are you thinking?" I asked as I pulled a shirt over my head. "You seem to be thinking too hard."

Tom looked away from me as if trying to think up something to say. "I'm thinking about our getaway." He answered.

I turned to look at him and he was playing with his hands. I stood in front of him and took his face in my hands. "I know that's not true." I said as I looked into his eyes.

He put his arms around my waist and leaned his head against my chest, "I'm nervous." He whispered. "I've been thinking about it...what if your parents get me arrested or something, for getting you pregnant?"

I put my arms around him and rubbed his back. "They wouldn't do that. I don't think they'd hurt me like that, by taking you away." I said as I rested my head on his.

"I hope they don't. I want to be there for you and the baby." He pulled away from me and stood. "We should go, before it gets later. I don't want to be driving at night." He leaned down and kissed me; he took my hand and led me out the door.

We got in the car and started driving. The whole time it was quiet, which made me nervous. The thing that calmed me down a little was that Tom held my hand the whole time. Every time I would glimpse at him he looked angry but worried at the same time.

"Hey, are you ok?" I asked. I didn't like seeing him like this, it worried me. Maybe if he talked it out he'd feel better.

He turned to look at me and smiled a little, "I'm fine." He answered and gave my hand a light squeeze. "Do you want to stop and take a break?" he asked.

I smiled, "Yes. I'm dying here."

Tom got off the freeway and onto what looked like a town. He stopped at a gas station that had a McDonald's attached to it. As soon as the car stopped, I jumped out and stretched. I looked in the car and saw that Tom was still sitting in there. I walked over to his side and opened the door.

"Are you coming?" I asked.

"Yeah." He got off the car and followed me inside.

As soon as I was inside I looked for the bathroom and spotted it right away. There was a big sign that had 'Restroom' on it and pointing to the back of the store. When I walked out I saw Tom sitting at a table, talking to some girl. I walked closer and pretended to look at some candy, but really I was trying to hear their conversation.

"So, why is a handsome young man like you sitting here alone?" The girl asked.

"I'm not alone." Tom replied. I looked up at Tom and the girl and Tom wasn't even looking at her. She pushed what looked like a napkin toward Tom and he pushed it back. "I'm sorry, I'm not interested." He said without looking at her, "I have a girlfriend and she's watching us."

She turned and looked around the room then she stopped on me. I waved at her and she looked away embarrassed. "Oh, I see." She said. She stood and walked away.