CHAPTER TWENTY

"Tom, you're being released." I said as I walked through the door.

"Really? That's great." Tom answered.

"You can go whenever you want." I responded.

"Can I go now?" he asked.

"Yeah, the nurse is going to bring in some paperwork then you're all mine." I said. "Should we get you ready to leave?"

"Sure."

I helped him sit up and slowly helped him stand. It took us a while to get him dressed because of his shoulder, but after a while we got him dressed.

* * * * ~ ~ ~ ~ * * * * ~ ~ ~ ~ * * * *

As soon as Tom sat in front of me in the tub, I wrapped my arms around him and held him close. I tightened my arms around him and kissed him from cheek to shoulder.

Tom chuckled, “You’re excited to have me back, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” I said as I kissed his neck, “there are no words to describe how happy I am to be able to hold you again, to know that you’re still alive.” I felt my eyes sting as I spoke. “I love you so much. I don’t know what I would have done without you.” I felt the tears spill and I tightened my arms a little more around Tom as I kissed his shoulder.

Tom turned, “I love you, too.” He kissed then held me against his chest. “Maybe we should spend more time apart, that way when we’re together you appreciate it.” Tom said.

“I already do. You have no idea how grateful I am that you’re still alive.”

“Me, too.” Tom responded.

“I’ve missed you so much.” I said. “I think you might be right about me sleeping really close to you. I’ll be sleeping so close it’ll hurt.”

Tom chuckled, “I think the pain will be worth it.”

I pulled away from him, “Let’s wash off and head to bed.” I stood and helped him up.

Tom stood with his back to me under the running water. I stepped closer to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. As soon as our skin made contact I felt my heart flutter. I leaned my head against his back and just stood there holding him, enjoying his presence.

Tom turned off the water and turned to me, “Should we go to bed?” he asked.

I nodded, yes. Tom took a towel and wrapped it around his waist then took another towel and handed it to me. He watched me while I wrapped the towel around myself and I saw him smile a little. He took my hand and led me to the bedroom.

I walked toward Tom’s closet as he took a seat on the edge of the bed. I took one of his shirts and put it on as I walked to the other side of the bed.

Tom and I laid on our backs with a couple of inches between us. I stared up at the ceiling with my hands resting on my stomach.

“You don’t have to lay all the way over there, you know.” Tom said.

I turned my head and saw him looking at me, “I don’t want to risk hurting you.” I said as I rolled on my side. I ran my hand alone his arm and stopped on his hand.

He turned his hand and intertwined our fingers, “It’s ok, I’m sure it won’t hurt.” Tom said. I scooted closer to him and as I did I saw him smile. “OW!” Tom yelled.

“Oh, my God! I’m so sorry.” I apologized. Tom laughed and I smacked him, “You’re such a jerk. That’s so not funny. You scared me.”

“Oh, come on, it was funny.” Tom laughed again.