CHAPTER 48 - TEARS

ZERO

I tried.

The heavens knew how hard I tried not to breakdown on the ground. In my head, I keep on repeating the same prayer over and over again, thinking that it will save her. That my words will ring the heaven's gate and will give me a chance to hear every single word that I utter in the dark room.

I blinked so many times that day, trying to give myself the senses that I needed in facing the doctors who attended my wife.

My chest  drenched in pain as I watch their eyes filled with sadness. Time seems to slow as their heads shakes in despair.

"H... How's my wife?" I uttered what seems to be a prayer.

The head doctor looked at me sadly and shooked his head.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Galanis. I can not tell you exactly the status of the patient. I can only assure you that we did our very best to get the bullet out of her chest..."

Para akong pinagkaitan ng hininga habang nakikinig sa bawat salitang sinsabi niya. It seems like my world's slowly fading...

"W-what do you mean, doc? She survived right? Tell me!" Fear strucked me. I didn't even bother looking at the owner of the hand who stopped my shoulder from attacking the medics.

"Yes... She survived... For now. Malalim ang pagkakabaon ng bala sa kanyang dibdib, Mr. Galanis. It's already a miracle that it didn't hit the heart, but there are certain veins that's been damaged. And it will give her the hard time to breathe." The doctor looked down on his gloved hands filled with blood. My Amara's blood.

The horror of losing her is slowly eating me alive. They're not sure of her status. What the fuck is that?

I think my mind is clouded with too many negativities and every words that the doctor says doesn't came to register in my brain.

"Let's just hope that she'll survive longer. I'll give her two weeks to regain her strength. And if she give a slightest act of response or progress, we'll proceed to a new set-up of medication. But..." he said carefully, leaving me at the edge of the clift.

"But if she did not, I'm dreadful to say that she won't last more than three weeks. That's all."

Every single minute passed, bumibigat ang dibdib ko.

With my trembling hands, I touched the glass that seperated me and my wife. I can't go near her. The doctors prohibited anyone from entering the room where they put her except nurses and doctors. It is shallow to say that I'm heartbroken to see her fight for her life in tubes attached to her fragile body.

Kulang ang mga salitang "nasasaktan ako" para maipaliwanag ang bigat at sakit na nararamdaman ko. Walang araw na hindi ko hiniling na maging maayos siya. Walang oras na hindi ko dinalangin na gumaling siya. Walang minuto na hindi ako humingi ng pag-asa sa langit na tanggalin ang taning sa kanya...

At walang segundo akong pinalipas na hindi siya nasisilayan at binubulong ang pangakong pinanghahawakan ko.

That I'll be there beside her as we figure everything out. Nangako akong mananatili sa tabi niya habang hinaharap ang mga bagay na susubok sa aming dalawa. Hindi ko inasahang mangyayari ang kinatatakutan ko.

The fear of losing someone I deeply love.

Ngayon na lang akong muling nagmahal ng ganito. I'm praying with all my heart and soul that they will not take her away from me. Because I know, losing her will be the death of me.

Siya ang buhay ko. Amara is the pulse inside my very chest. Without her, there's no point of breathing and living.

I'll be a corpse, walking coldly on the very earth.